Dynamic Characteristics of Soils Subject to Impact Loadings
The dynamic properties of soil under impact loads are studied experimentally and numerically. By analyzing the microstructural photos of soils with and without impact, it is shown that impact loads can destroy the original structures in the compact area, where the soil grains are rearranged regularly and form the compact whirlpool structure. Simultaneously, the dynamic impact process of soil is simulated by using the software of Ls-dyna. The time-dependent distribution of the dynamic stress and density is obtained in the soil. Furthermore, the simulation results are consistent with the experimental results. The reinforcement mechanism and the rule of dynamic compaction of soils due to impact load are also elucidated.
Key Wordsdynamic destruction impact soil dynamic consolidation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Qiu. Y.H., Guo, Y.L., The in-site measurement of dynamic stress in soil mass during heavy taping by dynamic consolidation method in ground improvement. Journal of the Taiyuan University of Technology, 1984, 1: 49–56.Google Scholar
- Brandel, H., et al., Dynamic stresses in soil caused by falling weights. In: Proc. 9th Int. Conf. Soil Mech. Found. Engng., 1977, 187–194.Google Scholar
- Thilakasiri, S., Millins, G., Stinnette, P., Gunaratne, M. and Jory, B., Analytical and experimental investigation of dynamic compaction induced stresses. Geotech 1993, 11.Google Scholar
- Shang, S.Z., Some aspects about the treatment on saturated soft clay by dynamic consolidation. Journal of Building Structures, 1983, 2: 57–71.Google Scholar
- Qian, J.H., Qian, X.D., Zhao, W.B. and Shuai, F.S., Theory and Practice of Dynamic Consolidation. Chinese Jounal of Geotechnical Engineering, 1986, 18: 3–19.Google Scholar
- Wu, M.B. and Wang, Z.Q., Numerical analysis of dynamic compaction caused by the impacting vibration. Geotechnical Investigation & Surveying, 1989, 3: 1–5.Google Scholar
- Liao, Z.P., Accuracies of local transmitting boundaries. Earthquake Engineering and Engineering Vibration, 1993, 13: 1–6.Google Scholar
- Kong, L.W. and Yuan, J.X., Study on surface contact stress distribution properties for multi-layered foundation during dynamic consolidation. Acta Mechanica Sinica, 1999, 31: 250–256.Google Scholar
- Kong, L.W. and Yuan, J.X., Study on surface contact stress and settlement properties during dynamic consolidation. Chinese of journal Geotechnical Engineering, 1998, 21: 86–92.Google Scholar
- Yang, G.T., Soil Dynamic. China Building Material Industry Publishing House, China, 2000.Google Scholar
- Niu, Z.R. and Yang, G.T., Dynamic characteristics of soils during and after dynamic consolidation. Engineering Mechanics (supp.) 2006, 3: 118–125.Google Scholar
- Chen, D.Z., Study on microstructure of collapsible loess before and after dynamic consolidation. Master’s Degree Dissertation of Taiyuan University of Technology, China, 1983.Google Scholar