Fractural process and toughening mechanism of laminated ceramic composites
Based on the model of multi-layer beam and the assumption of micro-inhomogeneity of material, the 3D fractural characteristics of laminated ceramic composites have been studied with numerical simulation. Under three-point bending load, crack initiation, coalescence, propagation, tuning off in the weak interface and final rupture have been simulated. The spatial distribution and evolution process of acoustic emission are also presented in the paper. The simulation verifies the primary mechanism of the weak interface inducing the crack to expand along there and absorbing the fractural energy. The disciplinary significance of the effect of strength and properties of material on the toughness and strength of laminated ceramic composites is, therefore, discussed in this paper.
Key wordslaminated ceramic composite toughening numerical simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Clegg W.J., Kendall K., Alford N.M., A simple way to make tough ceramics. Nature, 1990, 347(10): 445–447.Google Scholar
- Yuan Xu-xuan, Jia De-chang, Study on fracture behavior of BN-SiC laminated composite ceramics. Material Science & Technology, 2005, 13(4): 378–380.Google Scholar
- Chang X., Tang, C.A. and Zhang, H.Q.. Numerical Simulation on Toughening Mechanism of Laminated Composite Ceramic. J. Inorganic Materials, 2005, 20(2): 459–464.Google Scholar
- Guo X.H., Hu L. and Cai Q.H., Numerical Simulation and Laboratory Test on Toughening of Ceramic Nappe. J. Chinese Ceramic Society, 2000, 28(3): 234–239.Google Scholar
- Tang C.A., Wang S.H. and Fu Y.F., Numerical Test on Rock Failure Process. Beijing: Sci. & Tech. Publisher, 2003: 42–43.Google Scholar
- Tong J.F., Chen D.M., Liu X.G., Preparation of AL2O3(YAG)/LaPO4 laminated ceramics composites. J. of Aeronautical Materials, 2006, 26(3): 163–167.Google Scholar
- Li D.Y., Qiao G.J. and Jing Z.H., Recent development in research of laminated ceramic composites. J. Inorganic Materials, 2002, 17(1): 10–16.Google Scholar
- Guo H., Huang Y. and Li J.B., Properties and structure of Si3N4 laminated composite ceramics. J. Chinese Ceramic Society, 1997, 25(5): 532–536.Google Scholar
- Cai S.Y., Li J.L. and Xie Z.P., The effect of interface on the properties of Si3N4 laminated composite ceramics. J. Comp. Mater., 1999, 16(2): 110–115.Google Scholar
- Tan Y., Yang H. and Ge M.Z., Technique of preparation of laminated composite ceramic and the properties of its interface. Journal of Ceramics, 1997, 18(2): 113–117.Google Scholar
- MISTRAS 2000, Users Manual. Princeton (NJ): Physical Acoustics Corporation, 1995.Google Scholar