Meso-mechanical analysis of shape memory alloy reinforced smart structure with damage
The mechanical behaviors of shape memory alloy (SMA) wires reinforced smart structure with damage were analyzed through the variational principle, a governing equation for the structure was derived, mathematical expressions for the meso-displacement field, stress-strain field of typical element with damage were presented, and a failure criterion for interface failure between SMA wires and matrix was established under two kinds of actuation which are dead-load and temperature, where the temperature is included in effective free restoring strain. In addition, there are some other composing factors in the failure criterion such as the interface properties, dynamical properties of SMA, initial debonding length L - l etc. The results are significant to understand structural strength self-adapted control and failure mechanism of SMA wires reinforced smart structure with damage.
Key wordssmart structures damage shape memory alloy failure meso-mechanical analysis variational principle
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Liberatore, S. and Carman, G.P., Damage detection of structures based on spectral methods using piezoelectric materials, Structural Health Monitoring, Vol.1, 2003, 606–614.Google Scholar
- Dolye, C., Staveley, C. and Henderson, P., Structural health monitoring using optical fibre strain sensing systems, Structural Health Monitoring, Vol.1, 2003, 944–951.Google Scholar
- Park, G., Inman, D.J. and Farrar, C.R., Recent studies in piezoelectric impedance-based structural health monitoring, Structural Health Monitoring, Vol.1, 2003, 1423–1430.Google Scholar
- Tao, B.Q., Smart Materials and Structures, Beijing: Defense Industry Publisher, 1997 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Song, G.Q., Sun, Q.P. and Cherkaoui, M., Role of microstructure in the thermomechanical behaviour of SMA composites, Transactions of the ASME, Vol.121, No.1, 1999, 86–92.Google Scholar
- Hu, Z.L., Xiong, K. and Wang, X.W., One-dimensional incremental constitutive relation of SMA fiber reinforced smart composites with damages, Transactions of Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Vol.35, No.5, 2003, 465–473 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hu, Z.L., Properties characterization and meso-mechanical analysis of smart structures with damages, Dissertation of Nanjing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 2003 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Li, J.Y., Finite Element Method, Beijing: Publisher of Beijing University of Posts and Telecommunications, 2000 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Hu, H.C., Variational Principle and Application of Elasticity, Beijing: Science Publisher, 1982 (in Chinese).Google Scholar