Topology description function based method for material design
The purpose of this paper is to investigate the application of topology description function (TDF) in material design. Using TDF to describe the topology of the microstructure, the formulation and the solving technique of the design problem of materials with prescribed mechanical properties are presented. By presenting the TDF as the sum of a series of basis functions determined by parameters, the topology optimization of material microstructure is formulated as a size optimization problem whose design variables are parameters of TDF basis functions and independent of the mesh of the design domain. By this method, high quality topologies for describing the distribution of constituent material in design domain can be obtained and checkerboard problem often met in the variable density method is avoided. Compared with the conventional level set method, the optimization problem can be solved simply by existing optimization techniques without the process to solve the ‘Hamilton-Jacobi-type’ equation by the difference method. The method proposed is illustrated with two 2D examples. One gives the unit cell with positive Poisson’s ratio, the other with negative Poisson’s ratio. The examples show the method based on TDF is effective for material design.
Key wordstopology optimization topology description function material design
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Sigmund, O., Design of material structures using topology optimization. In: Olhoff, N. and Rozvany, GIN (eds.): WCSMO-1—First World Congress of Structural and Multidisciplinary Optimization, Oxford/UK: Pergamon Press, 1995.Google Scholar
- Liu, S.T. and Cao, X.F., Design optimization of material with zero thermal expansion coefficients and design verification with numerically simulated experiments. Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica, Vol.22, No.1, 2005, 126–132 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Luo, Z., Chen, L.P., Zhang, Y.Q. and Huang, Y.Y., Multi-stiffness topological optimization for continuum structures with multiple loading cases and a duplicate sensitivity filtering method. Acta Mechanica Solida Sinica, Vol.26, No.1, 2005, 29–36.Google Scholar
- Guo, X. and Zhao, K., A new topology description function based approach for structural topology optimization. Acta Mechanica Sinica, Vol.36, No.5, 2004, 520–526 (in Chinese).Google Scholar
- Liu, S.T., Zheng, X.G. and Cheng, G.D., Microstructure design optmization of materials with specific elastic properties. Acta Materiae Compositae Sinica, Vol.18, No.2, 2001, 124–127 (in Chinese).Google Scholar