Detection and identification of a ‘Candidatus phytoplasma aurantifolia’-related strain (16SrII-A subgroup) associated with corchorus aestuans phyllody in China
- 154 Downloads
In September 2015, a phyllody that is typical of phytoplasma infection was observed on Corchorus aestuans plants in Haikou, Hainan Province, China. Total DNA from symptomatic and asymptomatic plants was extracted for molecular diagnosis. On the basis of sequence analysis and phylogenetic trees based on 16S rDNA and rp genes, the phyllody phytoplasma was ascertained to be related to ‘Candidatus phytoplasma aurantifolia’. To the best of our knowledge, this is the first report of a phytoplasma infecting C. aestuans in the world.
KeywordsCorchorus aestuans phyllody phytoplasma Phylogenetic tree ‘Candidatus phytoplasma aurantifolia’-related strain
We thank Dr. Haiyan Che at the Environment and Plant Protection Institute, Chinese Academy of Tropical Agricultural Sciences for supplying the material infected with pigeon pea witches’-broom phytoplasma. This work was supported by the Postdoctoral Science Foundation of China (Grant Number: 2016M601190).
- Che HY, Luo DQ, Rui-Yi FU, Wu YF (2010) Molecular detection and identification of a phytoplasma associated with pigeon pea witches’-broom disease in Hainan Province, China. Acta Phytopathol Sin 40:113–121Google Scholar
- Gundersen-Rindal DE, Lee IM (1996) Ultrasensitive detection of phytoplasmas by nested-PCR assays using two universal primer pairs. Phytopathol Mediterr 3:144–151Google Scholar
- Khan MSY, Bano S, Javed K, Mueed MA (2006) A comprehensive review on the chemistry and pharmacology of Corchorus species—a source of cardiac glycosides, triterpenoids, ionones, flavonoids, coumarins, steroids and some other compounds. J Sci Ind Res 65:283–298Google Scholar
- Lee IM, Gundersen-Rindal DE, Davis RE, Bartoszyk IM (1998) Revised classification scheme of phytoplasmas based on RFLP analyses of 16S rRNA and ribosomal protein gene sequences. Int J Syst Evol Micr 48:1153–1169Google Scholar
- Seemüller E, Schneider B, Mäurer R, Ahrens U, Daire X, Kison H, Lorenz KH, Firrao G, Avinent L, Sears BB (1994) Phylogenetic classification of phytopathogenic Mollicutes by sequence analysis of 16S ribosomal DNA. Int J Syst Evol Micr 44:440–446Google Scholar