Comparing degree programs from students’ assessments: A LCRA-based adjusted composite indicator
- 90 Downloads
Taking into account the students’ evaluation of the quality of degree programs this paper presents a proposal for building up an adjusted performance indicator based on Latent Class Regression Analysis. The method enables us (i) to summarize in a single indicator statement multiple facets evaluated by students through a survey questionnaire and (ii) to control the variability in the evaluations that is mainly attributable to the characteristics (often referred as the Potential Confounding Factors) of the evaluators (students) rather than to real differences in the performances of the degree programs under evaluation. A simulation study is implemented in order to test the method and assess its potential when the composition of the degree programs as regards to students’ characteristics is sensibly different between one another. Results suggest that when the evaluations are strongly affected by the students’ covariates, the assessment based on the value of an unadjusted indicator can lead to bias and unreliable conclusions about the differences in performance. An application to real data is also provided.
KeywordsUniversity evaluation Adjusted indicators Latent class regression analysis Potential confounding factors
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bayol MP, de la Foye A, Tellier C, Tenenhaus M (2000) Use of PLS path modelling to estimate the European consumer satisfaction index (ECSI) model. Stat Appl 12(3): 361–375Google Scholar
- Capursi V, Porcu M (2001) La didattica universitaria valutata dagli studenti: un indicatore basato su misure di distanza fra distribuzioni di giudizi. In: Atti Convegno Intermedio della Società Italiana di Statistica ‘Processi e Metodi Statistici di Valutazione’, Roma 4–6 giugno 2001. Società Italiana di StatisticaGoogle Scholar
- Leti G (1983) Statistica Descrittiva. Il Mulino, BolognaGoogle Scholar
- Linzer DA, Lewis J (2010) poLCA: polytomous variable latent class analysis. R package version 1.2. http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~dlinzer/poLCA/
- Quatto P (2011) Descriptive analysis of student ratings. Book of short abstracts IES 2011. (http://ies2011.ds.unifi.it/BookOfAbstractsIES2011.pdf)