Antimicrobial susceptibility and serotyping of Listeria monocytogenes isolated from ready-to-eat seafood and food processing environments in Korea
- 70 Downloads
We examined antimicrobial susceptibility and serotypes of 33 L. monocytogenes isolates collected from ready-to-eat seafood and food processing environments. The isolated strains belonged to the 1/2b (73%), 4b (15%), and 1/2a (12%) serotypes; 11 of the obtained environmental swab samples belonged to the 1/2b serogroup. Antimicrobial resistance to benzyl penicillin (100%), clindamycin (100%), oxacillin (100%), ampicillin (97%), and tetracycline (18%) was detected, and 27/33 isolates (82%) showed resistance to four antibiotics and 6/33 (18%) were resistant to five. Total typing by automated repetitive sequence-based PCR revealed that the 33 isolates grouped into four distinct clusters with significantly correlated serotypes. These findings provide important information about the safety of ready-to-eat seafood and suggest that control measures should be adopted in order to mitigate the risk to humans posed by L. monocytogenes contaminated seafood.
KeywordsListeria monocytogenes seafoods characterization antimicrobial susceptibility rep-PCR
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Rørvik LM, Caugant DA, Yndestad M. Contamination pattern of Listeria monocytogenes and other Listeria spp. in a salmon slaughterhouse and smoked salmon processing plant. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 25: 19–27 (1995)Google Scholar
- 10.Wiedmann M. Molecular subtyping methods for Listeria monocytogenes. J. AOAC Int. 85: 524–5031 (2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Performance Standards for Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing; Twenty-fifth Informational Supplement. CLSI document M100–S25 (2015)Google Scholar
- 15.Gambarin P, Magnabosco C, Losio MN, Pavoni E, Gattuso A, Arcangeli G, Favretti M. Listeria monocytogenes in ready-to-eat seafood and potential hazards for the consumers. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 2012: Article ID 497635 (2012)Google Scholar
- 17.He Y, Sucharit BN, Ziyao M, Wenying G, Zhixin S, Shuhing Z, Lin L, Shinji Y, Lei S, Nanshan Z. Prevalence and characterization of antimicrobial resistant of foodborne Listeria monocytogenes isolates in Hebei provive of North China, 2005-2007. 144: 310–316 (2010)Google Scholar