Comparative study of crude and refined kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus L.) seed oil during accelerated storage
This study assessed the changes of antioxidant activity and bioactive compounds of crude and refined kenaf seed oil during accelerated storage at 65°C for 24 days. 2,2-Diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl and 2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) radical scavenging assays were used to determine their antioxidant activity. The changes of phenolic, tocopherol, and phytosterol contents during the storage were also studied. The phenolic content and antioxidant activity of refined oil were significantly lower than those of crude oil after the accelerated storage. There was a decrease of 72.5% tocopherol content and 31.1% phytosterol content in the crude oil and a decrease of 67% tocopherol content and 12.1% phytosterol content in the refined oil during the accelerated storage. There was no significant difference in tocopherol and phytosterol contents for crude and refined oils after the storage. The rate of degradation of tocopherol and phytosterol contents in refined oil was slower than that in crude oil during the storage.
Keywords2,2-diphenyl-1-picrylhydrazyl radical scavenging assay 2,2'-azino-bis(3-ethylbenzothiazoline-6-sulfonic acid) radical scavenging assay phenolic contents tocopherol phytosterol
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Suliman TEMA, Jiang J, Liu YF. Chemical refining of sunflower oil: Effect on oil stability, total tocopherol, free fatty acids and colour. Int. J. Eng. Sci. Technol. 5: 449–454 (2013)Google Scholar
- 17.Fatemeh SR, Saifullah R, Abbas FMA, Azhar ME. Total phenolics, flavonoids and antioxidant activity of banana pulp and peel flours: Influence of variety and stage of ripeness. Int. Food Res. J. 19: 1041–1046 (2012)Google Scholar
- 20.Bruscatto MH, Zambiazi RC, Sganzerla M, Pestana VR, Otero D, Lima R, Paiva F. Degradation of tocopherols in rice bran oil submitted to heating at different temperatures. J. Chromatogr. Sci. 47:762–765 (2009)Google Scholar
- 28.Bhuiyan MAR, Hoque MZ, Hossain SJ. Free radical scavenging activities of Zizyphus mauritiana. World J. Agr. Sci. 5: 318–322 (2009)Google Scholar
- 30.Nyam KL, Tan CH, Long K. Effect of microwave pretreatment on stability of kenaf (Hibiscus cannabinus L.) seed oil upon accelerated storage. Int. Food Res. J. 22: 1898–1905 (2015)Google Scholar