Oral health-related quality of life changes in children following dental treatment under general anaesthesia: a meta-analysis
- 217 Downloads
To conduct a meta-analysis of studies that have employed the Early Childhood Oral Health Impact Scale (ECOHIS) and Child Oral Health-Related Quality of Life (COHRQoL) instruments, to evaluate the oral health-related quality of life (OHRQoL) changes in children following dental treatment under general anaesthesia (DGA).
A systematic search of 5 databases was conducted in accordance with the PRISMA guidelines. The inclusion criteria were use of ECOHIS and COHRQoL, pre-and post-operative assessments, patients aged between 0 and 16 years, no restrictions on the follow-up period and DGA. The primary outcome measure was changes in quality of life for both the children, which was based on mean difference (MD). Twenty-two articles were included in the meta-analysis.
A favourable outcome in OHRQoL was identified in all studies. The combined MD for ECOHIS and COHRQoL were 1.62 [95% CI 1.52–1.71; P < 0.00001; I2 = 0%] and 0.86 [95% CI 0.74–0.99; P < 0.00001; I2 = 0%], respectively, both with no evidence of heterogeneity.
There is evidence to support that the OHRQoL of children was improved, with large effect size, in the short-term following DGA.
Dental treatment under GA significantly improved the OHRQoL of children.
KeywordsChildren Dental treatment Impact General anaesthesia Quality of life
The authors would like to acknowledge Dr. Matthew Payne for his assistance.
The authors certify that there are no financial organisations associated in relation to this study.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that there they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
For this type of study, formal consent is not required.
- 1.World Health Organisation (2012) Oral Health World Health Organisation. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs318/en/. Accessed Jan 8 2017
- 8.Jamjoom MM, al-Malik MI, Holt RD, el-Nassry A (2001) Dental treatment under general anaesthesia at a hospital in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia. Int J Paediatr Dent 11 (2):110–116Google Scholar
- 12.Slade GD (1998) Assessing change in quality of life using the oral health impact profile. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 26(1):52–61. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.1998.tb02084.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Solans M, Pane S, Estrada MD, Serra-Sutton V, Berra S, Herdman M, Alonso J, Rajmil L (2008) Health-related quality of life measurement in children and adolescents: a systematic review of generic and disease-specific instruments. Value Health 11(4):742–764. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1524-4733.2007.00293.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 15.Feitosa S, Colares V, Pinkham J (2005) The psychosocial effects of severe caries in 4-year-old children in Recife, Pernambuco, Brazil. Cad Saude Publica 21 (5):1550–1556Google Scholar
- 20.Knapp R, Gilchrist F, Rodd HD, Marshman Z (2017) Change in children’s oral health-related quality of life following dental treatment under general anaesthesia for the management of dental caries: a systematic review. Int J Paediatr Dent 27(4):302–312. https://doi.org/10.1111/ipd.12259 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Moher D, Liberati A, Tetzlaff J, Altman DG (2009) Preferred reporting items for systematic reviews and meta-analyses: the PRISMA statement. Ann Intern Med 151(4):264–269. https://doi.org/10.7326/0003-4819-151-4-200908180-00135 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Collado V, Pichot H, Delfosse C, Eschevins C, Nicolas E, Hennequin M (2017) Impact of early childhood caries and its treatment under general anesthesia on orofacial function and quality of life: a prospective comparative study. Med Oral Patol Oral Cir Bucal 22(3):333–341Google Scholar
- 44.Jabarifar SE, Eshghi AR, Shabanian M, Ahmad S (2009) Changes in children’s oral health related quality of life following dental treatment under general anesthesia. Dent Res J (Isfahan) 6(1):13–16Google Scholar
- 47.Malden PE, Thomson WM, Jokovic A, Locker D (2008) Changes in parent-assessed oral health-related quality of life among young children following dental treatment under general anaesthetic. Community Dent Oral Epidemiol 36(2):108–117. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0528.2007.00374.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 56.Flahault A, Cadilhac M, Thomas G (2005) Sample size calculation should be performed for design accuracy in diagnostic test studies. J Clin Epidemiol 58 (8):859–862Google Scholar