An investigation of the mechanical behavior of initially curved microplates under electrostatic actuation
In this article, we investigate the mechanical behavior of initially curved microplates under electrostatic actuation. Microplates are essential components of many Micro-Electro-Mechanical System devices; however, they commonly undergo an initial curvature imperfection, due to the microfabrication process. Initial curvature imperfection significantly affects the mechanical behavior of microplates. In this work, we derive a dynamic analogue of the von Kármán governing equation for such plates. These equations are then used to develop a reduced order model based on the Galerkin procedure to simulate the static and dynamic behavior of the microplate. Two profiles of initial curvature commonly encountered in microfabricated structures are considered, where one assumes a variation in shape along one dimension of the plate only (cylindrical bending shape) while the other assumes a variation in shape along both dimensions of the plate. Their effects on both the static and dynamic responses of the microplates are examined and compared. We validate the reduced order model by comparing the calculated static behavior and the fundamental natural frequency with those computed by a finite element model over a range of the initial plate rise. The static behavior of the microplate is investigated when varying the DC voltage. Then, the dynamic behavior of the microplate is examined under the application of a harmonic AC voltage superimposed to a DC voltage.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Zengerle, R., Richter, A., Sandmaier, H.: A micro membrane pump with electrostatic actuation. In: Proceedings of IEEE Micro Electro Mechanical Systems, 1992, MEMS’92, An Investigation of Micro Structures, Sensors, Actuators, Machines, and Robots (1992)Google Scholar
- 3.Maillefer, D., van Lintel, H., Rey-Mermet, G., Hirschi, R.: A high-performance silicon micropump for an implantable drug delivery system. In: Twelfth IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems MEMS’99 (1999)Google Scholar
- 18.Huang, H.: Large-amplitude vibration of imperfect rectangular, circular and laminated plate with viscous damping (Ph.D. Dissertation).http://scholarworks.uno.edu/td/1924/ (2014)
- 19.Faris, W.F.: Nonlinear dynamics of annular and circular plates under thermal and electrical loadings (Ph.D. Dissertation). https://vtechworks.lib.vt.edu/handle/10919/11100 (2003)
- 24.Rahman, M.M., Chowdhury, S.: Square diaphragm CMUT capacitance calculation using a new deflection shape function. J. Sens. 2011, Article ID 581910 (2011). https://doi.org/10.1155/2011/581910
- 25.Akhbari, S., Sammoura, F., Yang, C., Heidari, A., Horsley, D., Lin, L.: Self-curved diaphragms by stress engineering for highly responsive pMUT. In: 28th IEEE International Conference on Micro Electro Mechanical Systems (MEMS) (2015)Google Scholar
- 34.COMSOL Multiphysics, (http://www.comsol.com)