Modeling dynamic flows of grain–fluid mixtures by coupling the mixture theory with a dilatancy law
- 8 Downloads
A depth-averaged two-velocity grain–fluid mixture model is proposed to describe flows of grain–fluid mixtures. Motivated by the experimental observations, the proposed model considers that the granular and the fluid phases are moving with different velocities, and the velocity difference between the granular phase and the fluid phase is coupled with the granular dilatancy that is described by a granular dilatancy law. The characteristics of flows allow to formulate a simpler depth-averaged PDE system. To scrutinize the proposed equations, an analysis for steady flows in rectangular channels is performed, which reproduces the cross-stream velocity profiles commonly observed in fields. Additionally, a uniform flow is investigated to illustrate the effects of the granular dilatancy on the velocities, flow depth, and volume fractions.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Bouchut, F., Fernandez-Nieto, E.D., Mangeney, A., Narbona-Reina, G.: A two-phase two-layer model for fluidized granular flows with dilatancy effects. https://hal-upec-upem.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-01161930 (2016)
- 8.Kaitna, R., Hsu, L., Rickenmann, D., Dietrich, W.E.: On the development of an unsaturated front of debris flows. In: Genevois, R., Hamilton, D.L., Prestininzi, A. (eds.) Italian Journal of Engineering Geology and Environment-Book. 5th International Conference on Debris-Flow Hazards: Mitigation, Mechanics, Prediction and Assessment, Padua, 14–17 June 2011, pp. 351–358. Casa Editrice Università La Sapienza (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Pierson, T.C.: Flow behavior of channelized debris flows, Mount St. Helens, Washington. In: Abrahams, A.D. (ed.) Hillslope Processes, pp. 269–296. Allen and Unwin press, Winchester (1986)Google Scholar
- 14.Prochnow, M., Chevoir, F., Albertelli, M.: Dense granular flows down a rough inclined plane. In: Proceedings of XIII International Congress on Rheology, Cambridge, UK (2000)Google Scholar
- 15.Reynolds, O.: Dilatancy. Nature 33, 429–430 (1886)Google Scholar
- 17.Roux, S., Radjai, F.: Texture-dependent rigid plastic behavior. In: Herrmann, H.J. et al. (eds.) Proceedings: Physics of Dry Granular Media, September 1997, Cargése, France, pp. 305–311. Kluwer (1998)Google Scholar