Effect of boundary conditions in three alternative models of Timoshenko–Ehrenfest beams on Winkler elastic foundation
In this paper we discuss about the free vibrations of a beam on Winkler foundation via original Timoshenko–Ehrenfest beam theory, as well as one of its truncated versions, and a model based on slope inertia. Differences between the three models are indicated. We analyze five different sets of boundary conditions, which are derived from the most typical end constraints: simply supported end, clamped end and free end. A detailed proof about the non-existence of zero frequencies for the free–free beam and for the simply supported–free beam is given. Differences between the models are indicated in the context of free vibrations of the beam on Winkler foundations.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
First author acknowledges helpful discussion with Prof. Arkady Manevich of the Ukrainian Chemical Technology University, Dnepropetrovsk, Ukraine. We are thankful to two anonymous reviewers for providing insightful and constructive comments.
- 7.Crandall, S.H.: The Timoshenko beam on elastic foundation. In: Proceedings of the Third Midwestern Conference on Solid Mechanics, pp. 146–159. The University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor, MI (1957)Google Scholar
- 11.Elishakoff, I.: An equation both more consistent and simpler than the Timoshenko–Ehrenfest equation. In: Advances in Mathematical Modeling and Experimental Methods for Materials and Structures, pp. 249–254. Springer, Dordrecht (2010)Google Scholar
- 20.Manevich, A.I.: Transverse waves in a Timoshenko beam of visco-elastic material. Theor. Found. Civ. Eng. (Warsaw) 17, 217–228 (2009). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 22.Muravsky, G.B.: Oscillation of the Timoshenko type beam lying on the elastic-hereditary foundation. Mekhanika Tverdogo Tela (Mechanics of Solids), 13(5):167–169 (1981) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 23.Noga, S., Bogacz, R.: Free vibration of the Timoshenko beam interacting with the Winkler foundation. Symulacja w Badaniach I Rozw. 2(4), 209–223 (2011)Google Scholar
- 24.Obara, P.: Vibrations and stability of Bernoulli–Euler and Timoshenko beams on two-parameter elastic foundation. Arch. Civ. Eng. 60(4), 421–439 (2014)Google Scholar
- 25.Pielorz, A.: Discrete-continuous models in the analysis of low structures subject to kinematic excitations caused by transversal waves. J. Theor. Appl. Mech. 34(3), 547–566 (1996)Google Scholar
- 26.Rayleigh L. (J.W.S. Strut): The Theory of Sound. Macmillan, London (see also Dover, New York, 1945) (1878)Google Scholar
- 27.Sadeghian, M., Ekhterai, Toussi H.: Frequency analysis for a Timoshenko beam located on elastic foundation. Int. J. Eng. Trans. A Basics 24(1), 87–105 (2010)Google Scholar
- 28.Timoshenko, S.P.: A Course in Theory of Elasticity, Part II: Rods and Plates. “Kollins” Publishers, Petrograd (1916). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 29.Timoshenko, S.P.: On the differential equation for the flexural vibrations of prismatical rods. Glas. Hrvat. Prir. Drus. 32(2), 55–57 (1920)Google Scholar
- 32.Timoshenko, S.P.: A Course in Theory of Elasticity, 2nd edn. “Naukova Dumka” Publishers, Kiev (1972). (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 33.Vlasov, V.Z., Leontiev, U.N.: Beams, plates, and shells on elastic foundations, (translated from Russian). Israel Program for Scientific Translation, Jerusalem (1966)Google Scholar
- 34.Wang, C.M., Lam, K.Y., He, X.O.: Exact solution for Timoshenko beams on elastic foundations using Green’s functions. J. Struct. Mech. 26(1), 101–113 (1998)Google Scholar
- 36.Wu, J.-S.: Analytical and Numerical Methods for Vibration Analyses, Section 2.12: Vibration of a Timoshenko Beam on the Elastic Foundation. Wiley, Singapore (2013)Google Scholar
- 37.Yerofeev, V.I., Kazhaev, V.V., Lisenkova, Y.Y., Semerikova, N.P.: Comparative analysis of dynamical behavior of beams in Bernoulli–Euler, Rayleigh and Timoshenko models lying on elastic foundation. Vestn. Nauchno-Tekhnicheskogo Razvit. Nizhnyi Novgorod 8(24), 18–26 (2009). (in Russian)Google Scholar