Synthesis and investigation of antimicrobial and antioxidant activity of anthraquinonylhydrazones
- 23 Downloads
The new anthraquinonylhydrazones were obtained by the interaction of 9,10-dioxoanthracene-1-diazonium sulfates with a number of α- and β-carbonyl-containing compounds under modified conditions of the Japp–Klingemann reaction, and a probable mechanism of the formation has been proposed. It was found that hydrazones, unsaturated in the second position of the anthraquinone ring, containing acetyl or ethoxycarbonyl moieties in the ylidene part of the molecule, are capable of eliminating these fragments. It has been experimentally established that hydrazones, free rotation around the N=C bond of which is possible, exist as one isomer due to the presence of an intramolecular hydrogen bond in the molecule. The anthraquinonylhydrazone of dimedone with action against the bacteria strains of Staphylococcus aureus 209-P, Mycobacterium luteum B-917, and fungus Candida tenuis VKM Y-70 was found. The hydrazones of dimedone and barbituric acid with a higher trolox equivalent antioxidant coefficients of antioxidant action were found using CUPRAC assay. In addition, the hydrazones of dimedone and barbituric acid exhibited better activity against catalase enzyme. Correlations between the structure of the synthesized hydrazones and their antioxidant activity have been defined.
Keywords9,10-Dioxoanthracene-1-diazonium sulfates Hydrazones Antimicrobial activity Antioxidant activity TEAC Catalase enzyme activity
The authors would like to express their gratitude to the Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine, Scientific Research Project (Project number: 0116U004138) for financial support.
- 2.Ali R, Marella A, Alam T, Naz R, Akhter M, Shaquiquzzaman M, Saha R, Tanwar O, Alam M, Hooda J (2012) Indones J Pharm 23:193Google Scholar
- 3.Antonini I, Polucci P, Cola D, Palmieri G, Martelli S, Bontemps-Gracz M (1993) Farmaco 48:1641Google Scholar
- 4.Loskutov VA (2000) Russ J Org Chem 36:1478Google Scholar
- 6.Bulhakova NA (2002) Synthesis, structure and properties of some 9,10-anthraquinone derivatives containing a nitrogen–nitrogen bond. Ph.D. thesis, Krasnoyarsk State Pedagogical University named after V.P. Astafieva, Krasnoyarsk ([in Russian])Google Scholar
- 18.NCCLS (1990) Performance Standards for antimicrobial disk susceptibility tests, 4th edn: Approved standards. Document M2-A4, Villanova, PAGoogle Scholar
- 19.NCCLS (1998) Reference Method for broth dilution antifungal susceptibility testing of conidium forming filamentous fungi: proposed standard. Document M38-P, Wayne, PAGoogle Scholar