Systematic review and meta-analysis of perioperative and long-term outcomes in patients receiving statin therapy before carotid endarterectomy
- 206 Downloads
Carotid endarterectomy (CEA) is associated with perioperative stroke and mortality in a minority of cases. The aim of this systematic review and meta-analysis was to investigate the effect of pre-operative statins on perioperative outcomes in patients undergoing CEA for internal carotid artery (ICA) stenosis.
A systematic review of PubMed, Medline, and the Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews was performed. Studies were included which reported perioperative stroke and/or survival outcomes following CEA for ICA stenosis and compared patients who were and were not taking pre-operative statins. Relevant data were extracted and pooled using meta-analysis.
Seven studies met the inclusion criteria, comprising 21,387 patients. A total of 68.9% (14,976) were administered statins and 31.1% (6657) were statin-free. Pre-operative statin use was higher in patients with a history of cardiac disease (12.2 vs. 23.6% in the statin-free group), diabetes (31.6 vs. 25.1% in the statin-free group), and hypertension (83.5 vs. 72.2% in the statin-free group), while a greater proportion of statin-free patients had symptomatic disease (44.9 vs. 55.5% in the statin-free group). Statins were associated with reduced perioperative stroke in all patients (OR 0.57; 95% CI 0.34–0.95; p = 0.03) and in symptomatic patients (OR 0.57; 95% CI 0.35–0.93; p = 0.03). A trend towards lower perioperative mortality (OR 0.54; 95% CI 0.29, 1.03; p = 0.06) and significantly improved overall survival was observed in the statin group (HR 0.69; 95% CI 0.59–0.81; p < 0.001) at a mean follow-up of 62 months (range 27–76 months).
Administration of statins before CEA is associated with lower rates of perioperative stroke and improved overall survival. Compliance with optimal medical treatment associated with the use of pre-operative statins may limit the clinical significance of these findings. Future investigation to characterize the potential benefit of statin therapy in patients undergoing CEA for ICA stenosis is warranted.
KeywordsCarotid endarterectomy Statin Survival Outcome Morbidity Mortality
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All authors certify that they have no affiliations with or involvement in any organization or entity with any financial interest (such as honoraria; educational grants; participation in speakers’ bureaus; membership, employment, consultancies, stock ownership, or other equity interest; and expert testimony or patent-licensing arrangements), or non-financial interest (such as personal or professional relationships, affiliations, knowledge, or beliefs) in the subject matter or materials discussed in this manuscript.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 2.Taylor F, Huffman MD, Macedo AF, Moore TH, Burke M, Davey Smith G, Ward K, Ebrahim S (2013) Statins for the primary prevention of cardiovascular disease. Cochrane Database Syst Rev CD004816. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD004816.pub5
- 3.Coutts SB, Wein TH, Lindsay MP, Buck B, Cote R, Ellis P, Foley N, Hill MD, Jaspers S, Jin AY, Kwiatkowski B, MacPhail C, McNamara-Morse D, McMurtry MS, Mysak T, Pipe A, Silver K, Smith EE, Gubitz G, Heart, Stroke Foundation Canada Canadian Stroke Best Practices Advisory C (2015) Canadian stroke best practice recommendations: secondary prevention of stroke guidelines, update 2014. Int J Stroke 10:282–291. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijs.12439 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 4.Kernan WN, Ovbiagele B, Black HR, Bravata DM, Chimowitz MI, Ezekowitz MD, Fang MC, Fisher M, Furie KL, Heck DV, Johnston SC, Kasner SE, Kittner SJ, Mitchell PH, Rich MW, Richardson D, Schwamm LH, Wilson JA, American Heart Association Stroke Council CoC, Stroke Nursing CoCC, Council on Peripheral Vascular D (2014) Guidelines for the prevention of stroke in patients with stroke and transient ischemic attack: a guideline for healthcare professionals from the American Heart Association/American Stroke Association. Stroke 45:2160–2236. https://doi.org/10.1161/STR.0000000000000024 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Barnett HJ, Taylor DW, Eliasziw M, Fox AJ, Ferguson GG, Haynes RB, Rankin RN, Clagett GP, Hachinski VC, Sackett DL, Thorpe KE, Meldrum HE, Spence JD (1998) Benefit of carotid endarterectomy in patients with symptomatic moderate or severe stenosis. North American symptomatic carotid Endarterectomy trial collaborators. N Engl J Med 339:1415–1425. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJM199811123392002 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 16.Mohammed N, Anand SS (2005) Prevention of disabling and fatal strokes by successful carotid endarterectomy in patients without recent neurological symptoms: randomized controlled trial. MRC asymptomatic carotid surgery trial (ACST) collaborative group. Lancet 2004; 363: 1491-1502. Vasc Med 10:77–78. doi: https://doi.org/10.1191/1358863x05vm588xx
- 19.Brott TG, Howard G, Roubin GS, Meschia JF, Mackey A, Brooks W, Moore WS, Hill MD, Mantese VA, Clark WM, Timaran CH, Heck D, Leimgruber PP, Sheffet AJ, Howard VJ, Chaturvedi S, Lal BK, Voeks JH, Hobson RW 2nd, Investigators C (2016) Long-term results of stenting versus endarterectomy for carotid-artery stenosis. N Engl J Med 374:1021–1031. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa1505215 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 21.Spangler EL, Goodney PP, Schanzer A, Stone DH, Schermerhorn ML, Powell RJ, Cronenwett JL, Nolan BW, Vascular Study Group of New E (2014) Outcomes of carotid endarterectomy versus stenting in comparable medical risk patients. J Vasc Surg 60:1227–1231. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2014.05.044 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 23.Lal BK, Beach KW, Roubin GS, Lutsep HL, Moore WS, Malas MB, Chiu D, Gonzales NR, Burke JL, Rinaldi M, Elmore JR, Weaver FA, Narins CR, Foster M, Hodgson KJ, Shepard AD, Meschia JF, Bergelin RO, Voeks JH, Howard G, Brott TG, Investigators C (2012) Restenosis after carotid artery stenting and endarterectomy: a secondary analysis of CREST, a randomised controlled trial. Lancet Neurol 11:755–763. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(12)70159-X CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 24.Sanders RD, Nicholson A, Lewis SR, Smith AF, Alderson P (2013) Perioperative statin therapy for improving outcomes during and after noncardiac vascular surgery. Cochrane Database Syst Rev:CD009971. doi: https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD009971.pub2
- 25.AbuRahma AF, Srivastava M, Stone PA, Richmond BK, AbuRahma Z, Jackson W, Dean LS, Mousa AY (2015) Effect of statins on early and late clinical outcomes of carotid endarterectomy and the rate of post-carotid endarterectomy restenosis. J Am Coll Surg 220:481–487. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2014.12.011 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Moher D, Shamseer L, Clarke M, Ghersi D, Liberati A, Petticrew M, Shekelle P, Stewart LA, Group P-P (2015) Preferred reporting items for systematic review and meta-analysis protocols (PRISMA-P) 2015 statement. Syst Rev 4(1). https://doi.org/10.1186/2046-4053-4-1
- 30.Stroup DF, Berlin JA, Morton SC, Olkin I, Williamson GD, Rennie D, Moher D, Becker BJ, Sipe TA, Thacker SB (2000) Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology: a proposal for reporting. Meta-analysis of observational studies in epidemiology (MOOSE) group. JAMA 283:2008–2012CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Kennedy J, Quan H, Buchan AM, Ghali WA, Feasby TE (2005) Statins are associated with better outcomes after carotid endarterectomy in symptomatic patients. Stroke 36:2072–2076. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.STR.0000183623.28144.32 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.McGirt MJ, Perler BA, Brooke BS, Woodworth GF, Coon A, Jain S, Buck D, Roseborough GS, Tamargo RJ, Heller J, Freischlag JA, Williams GM (2005) 3-Hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme A reductase inhibitors reduce the risk of perioperative stroke and mortality after carotid endarterectomy. J Vasc Surg 42:829–836; discussion 836-827. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2005.08.039 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 36.Ackerstaff RG, Moons KG, van de Vlasakker CJ, Moll FL, Vermeulen FE, Algra A, Spencer MP (2000) Association of intraoperative transcranial Doppler monitoring variables with stroke from carotid endarterectomy. Stroke 31:1817–1823Google Scholar
- 37.Levi CR, O'Malley HM, Fell G, Roberts AK, Hoare MC, Royle JP, Chan A, Beiles BC, Chambers BR, Bladin CF, Donnan GA (1997) Transcranial Doppler detected cerebral microembolism following carotid endarterectomy. High microembolic signal loads predict postoperative cerebral ischaemia. Brain 120(Pt 4):621–629CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 39.Katsargyris A, Klonaris C, Tsiodras S, Bastounis E, Giannopoulos A, Theocharis S (2011) Statin treatment is associated with reduced toll-like receptor 4 immunohistochemical expression on carotid atherosclerotic plaques: a novel effect of statins. Vascular 19:320–326. https://doi.org/10.1258/vasc.2011.oa0306 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 40.Koutouzis M, Nomikos A, Nikolidakis S, Tzavara V, Andrikopoulos V, Nikolaou N, Barbatis C, Kyriakides ZS (2007) Statin treated patients have reduced intraplaque angiogenesis in carotid endarterectomy specimens. Atherosclerosis 192:457–463. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.atherosclerosis.2007.01.035 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.Molloy KJ, Thompson MM, Schwalbe EC, Bell PR, Naylor AR, Loftus IM (2004) Comparison of levels of matrix metalloproteinases, tissue inhibitor of metalloproteinases, interleukins, and tissue necrosis factor in carotid endarterectomy specimens from patients on versus not on statins preoperatively. Am J Cardiol 94:144–146. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2004.03.050 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 42.Puato M, Faggin E, Rattazzi M, Zambon A, Cipollone F, Grego F, Ganassin L, Plebani M, Mezzetti A, Pauletto P (2010) Atorvastatin reduces macrophage accumulation in atherosclerotic plaques: a comparison of a nonstatin-based regimen in patients undergoing carotid endarterectomy. Stroke 41:1163–1168. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.110.580811 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 44.Heyer EJ, Mergeche JL, Bruce SS, Ward JT, Stern Y, Anastasian ZH, Quest DO, Solomon RA, Todd GJ, Benvenisty AI, McKinsey JF, Nowygrod R, Morrissey NJ, Connolly ES (2013) Statins reduce neurologic injury in asymptomatic carotid endarterectomy patients. Stroke 44:1150–1152. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.111.000362 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 45.Mocco J, Wilson DA, Komotar RJ, Zurica J, Mack WJ, Halazun HJ, Hatami R, Sciacca RR, Connolly ES Jr, Heyer EJ (2006) Predictors of neurocognitive decline after carotid endarterectomy. Neurosurgery 58:844–850; discussion 844-850. https://doi.org/10.1227/01.NEU.0000209638.62401.7E CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 46.Wilson DA, Mocco J, D'Ambrosio AL, Komotar RJ, Zurica J, Kellner CP, Hahn DK, Connolly ES, Liu X, Imielinska C, Heyer EJ (2008) Post-carotid endarterectomy neurocognitive decline is associated with cerebral blood flow asymmetry on post-operative magnetic resonance perfusion brain scans. Neurol Res 30:302–306. https://doi.org/10.1179/016164107X230540 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 49.Hillis LD, Smith PK, Anderson JL, Bittl JA, Bridges CR, Byrne JG, Cigarroa JE, VJ DS, Hiratzka LF, Hutter AM Jr, Jessen ME, Keeley EC, Lahey SJ, Lange RA, London MJ, Mack MJ, Patel MR, Puskas JD, Sabik JF, Selnes O, Shahian DM, Trost JC, Winniford MD, Jacobs AK, Anderson JL, Albert N, Creager MA, Ettinger SM, Guyton RA, Halperin JL, Hochman JS, Kushner FG, Ohman EM, Stevenson W, Yancy CW, American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association Task Force on Practice G (2012) 2011 ACCF/AHA guideline for coronary artery bypass graft surgery: executive summary: a report of the American College of Cardiology Foundation/American Heart Association task force on practice guidelines. J Thorac Cardiovasc Surg 143:4–34. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jtcvs.2011.10.015 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 50.Kolh P, Windecker S, Alfonso F, Collet JP, Cremer J, Falk V, Filippatos G, Hamm C, Head SJ, Juni P, Kappetein AP, Kastrati A, Knuuti J, Landmesser U, Laufer G, Neumann FJ, Richter DJ, Schauerte P, Sousa Uva M, Stefanini GG, Taggart DP, Torracca L, Valgimigli M, Wijns W, Witkowski A, European Society of Cardiology Committee for Practice G, Zamorano JL, Achenbach S, Baumgartner H, Bax JJ, Bueno H, Dean V, Deaton C, Erol C, Fagard R, Ferrari R, Hasdai D, Hoes AW, Kirchhof P, Knuuti J, Kolh P, Lancellotti P, Linhart A, Nihoyannopoulos P, Piepoli MF, Ponikowski P, Sirnes PA, Tamargo JL, Tendera M, Torbicki A, Wijns W, Windecker S, Committee ECG, Sousa Uva M, Achenbach S, Pepper J, Anyanwu A, Badimon L, Bauersachs J, Baumbach A, Beygui F, Bonaros N, De Carlo M, Deaton C, Dobrev D, Dunning J, Eeckhout E, Gielen S, Hasdai D, Kirchhof P, Luckraz H, Mahrholdt H, Montalescot G, Paparella D, Rastan AJ, Sanmartin M, Sergeant P, Silber S, Tamargo J, ten Berg J, Thiele H, van Geuns RJ, Wagner HO, Wassmann S, Wendler O, Zamorano JL, Task Force on Myocardial Revascularization of the European Society of C, the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic S, European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular I (2014) 2014 ESC/EACTS guidelines on myocardial revascularization: the task force on myocardial revascularization of the European Society of Cardiology (ESC) and the European Association for Cardio-Thoracic Surgery (EACTS). Developed with the special contribution of the European Association of Percutaneous Cardiovascular Interventions (EAPCI). Eur J Cardiothorac Surg 46:517–592. https://doi.org/10.1093/ejcts/ezu366 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 51.Patti G, Pasceri V, Colonna G, Miglionico M, Fischetti D, Sardella G, Montinaro A, Di Sciascio G (2007) Atorvastatin pretreatment improves outcomes in patients with acute coronary syndromes undergoing early percutaneous coronary intervention: results of the ARMYDA-ACS randomized trial. J Am Coll Cardiol 49:1272–1278. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2007.02.025 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 52.Wassmann S, Faul A, Hennen B, Scheller B, Bohm M, Nickenig G (2003) Rapid effect of 3-hydroxy-3-methylglutaryl coenzyme a reductase inhibition on coronary endothelial function. Circ Res 93:e98–e103. https://doi.org/10.1161/01.RES.0000099503.13312.7B
- 53.Eckstein HH, Ringleb P, Allenberg JR, Berger J, Fraedrich G, Hacke W, Hennerici M, Stingele R, Fiehler J, Zeumer H, Jansen O (2008) Results of the stent-protected angioplasty versus carotid endarterectomy (SPACE) study to treat symptomatic stenoses at 2 years: a multinational, prospective, randomised trial. Lancet Neurol 7:893–902. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1474-4422(08)70196-0 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 54.Amarenco P, Bogousslavsky J, Callahan A, 3rd, Goldstein LB, Hennerici M, Rudolph AE, Sillesen H, Simunovic L, Szarek M, Welch KM, Zivin JA, Stroke prevention by aggressive reduction in cholesterol levels I (2006) High-dose atorvastatin after stroke or transient ischemic attack N Engl J Med 355:549–559. doi: https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa061894
- 55.Hobson RW, II MWC, Ascher E, Murad MH, Calligaro KD, Comerota AJ, Montori VM, Eskandari MK, Massop DW, Bush RL, Lal BK, Perler BA, Society for Vascular S (2008) Management of atherosclerotic carotid artery disease: clinical practice guidelines of the Society for Vascular Surgery. J Vasc Surg 48:480–486. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2008.05.036 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 56.Brott TG, Hobson RW 2nd, Howard G, Roubin GS, Clark WM, Brooks W, Mackey A, Hill MD, Leimgruber PP, Sheffet AJ, Howard VJ, Moore WS, Voeks JH, Hopkins LN, Cutlip DE, Cohen DJ, Popma JJ, Ferguson RD, Cohen SN, Blackshear JL, Silver FL, Mohr JP, Lal BK, Meschia JF, Investigators C (2010) Stenting versus endarterectomy for treatment of carotid-artery stenosis. N Engl J Med 363:11–23. https://doi.org/10.1056/NEJMoa0912321 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 58.Howard VJ, Voeks JH, Lutsep HL, Mackey A, Milot G, Sam AD 2nd, Tom M, Hughes SE, Sheffet AJ, Longbottom M, Avery JB, Hobson RW 2nd, Brott TG (2009) Does sex matter? Thirty-day stroke and death rates after carotid artery stenting in women versus men: results from the carotid revascularization Endarterectomy versus stenting trial (CREST) lead-in phase. Stroke 40:1140–1147. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.108.541847 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 59.Voeks JH, Howard G, Roubin GS, Malas MB, Cohen DJ, Sternbergh WC III, Aronow HD, Eskandari MK, Sheffet AJ, Lal BK, Meschia JF, Brott TG, Investigators C (2011) Age and outcomes after carotid stenting and endarterectomy: the carotid revascularization endarterectomy versus stenting trial. Stroke 42:3484–3490. https://doi.org/10.1161/STROKEAHA.111.624155 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 60.Nakagawa I, Park HS, Yokoyama S, Wada T, Yamada S, Motoyama Y, Kichikawa K, Nakase H (2017) Pretreatment with and ongoing use of omega-3 fatty acid ethyl esters reduce the slow-flow phenomenon and prevent in-stent restenosis in patients undergoing carotid artery stenting. J Vasc Surg 66:122–129. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jvs.2016.12.132 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar