Intraoperative intravenous fluorescein as an adjunct during surgery for peroneal intraneural ganglion cysts
- 109 Downloads
The intraoperative use of intravenous fluorescein is presented in a case of peroneal intraneural ganglion cyst. When illuminated with the operative microscope and yellow filter, this fluorophore provided excellent visualization of the abnormal cystic peroneal nerve and its articular branch connection. The articular (synovial) theory for the pathogenesis of intraneural cysts is further supported by this pattern of fluorescence. Further, our report presents a novel use of fluorescein in peripheral nerve surgery.
KeywordsPeripheral nerve Peroneal nerve Intraneural ganglion cyst Articular branch Fluorescein
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional committee (Mayo Clinic Institutional Review Board) and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
For this type of study, formal consent was not required.
- 3.Acerbi F, Cavallo C, Schebesch K-M et al (2017) Fluorescein-guided resection of intramedullary spinal cord tumors: results from a preliminary, multicentric, retrospective study. World Neurosurg. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wneu.2017.09.061
- 4.Brooks DM (1952) Nerve compression by simple ganglia. J Bone Joint Surg Br Vol 34–B(3):391 LP–391400Google Scholar
- 6.Diaz RJ, Dios RR, Hattab EM, Burrell K, Rakopoulos P, Sabha N, Hawkins C, Zadeh G, Rutka JT, Cohen-Gadol AA (2015) Study of the biodistribution of fluorescein in glioma-infiltrated mouse brain and histopathological correlation of intraoperative findings in high-grade gliomas resected under fluorescein fluorescence guidance. J Neurosurg 122(6):1360–1369CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Pedro M, König R, Antoniadis G (2017) Fluorescein-guided surgery in peripheral benign nerve tumors (schwannomas). 6th Vienna Symp. Surg. Peripher. Nerves Present State Peripher. Nerve Surg. New Ideas to Improv. Results. Vienna, p 29Google Scholar
- 15.Sobol GL, Lipschultz TM (2015) Successful surgical treatment of an intraneural ganglion of the common peroneal nerve. Am J Orthop (Belle Mead NJ) 44(4):E123–E126Google Scholar
- 20.Spinner RJ, Scheithauer BW, Amrami KK (2009) The unifying articular (synovial) origin of intraneural ganglia: evolution-revelation-revolution. Neurosurgery. https://doi.org/10.1227/01.NEU.0000346259.84604.D4
- 23.Wilson TJ, Rock MG, Spinner RJ (2018) Technique for primary and redo surgery for peroneal intraneural ganglion cysts. Oper Neurosurg (Hagerstown) 14(2):208Google Scholar