A silica fiber coated with a ZnO-graphene oxide nanocomposite with high specific surface for use in solid phase microextraction of the antiepileptic drugs diazepam and oxazepam
A novel ZnO-graphene oxide nanocomposite was prepared and is shown to be a viable coating on fused silica fibers for use in solid phase microextraction (SPME) of diazepam and oxazepam from urine, this followed by thermal desorption and gas chromatographic quantitation using a flame ionization detector. A central composite design was used to optimize extraction time, salt percentage, sample pH and desorption time. Limits of detection are 0.5 μg·L−1 for diazepam and 1.0 μg·L−1 for oxazepam. Repeatability and reproducibility for one fiber (n = 4), expressed as the relative standard deviation at a concentration of 50 μg·L−1, are 8.3 and 11.3% for diazepam, and 6.7 and 10.1% for oxazepam. The fiber-to-fiber reproducibility is <17.6%. The calibration plots are linear in the 5.0–1000 μg·L−1 diazepam concentration range, and from 1.0–1000 μg·L−1 in case of oxazepam. The fiber for SPME has high chemical and thermal stability (even at 280 °C) after 50 extractions, and does not suffer from a reduction in the sorption capacity.
KeywordsNanosorbent Nanorods Nanosheets Urine sample Response surface methodology Experimental design
The author would like to thank from Iran Nanotechnology Initiative Council.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 6.Simpson D, Braithwaite RA, Jarvie DR, Stewart MJ, Walker S, Watson IW, Widdop B (1997) Screening for drugs of abuse (II): cannabinoids, lysergic acid diethylamide, buprenorphine, methadone, barbiturates, benzodiazepines and other drugs. Ann Clin Biochem 34(Pt 5):460–510. https://doi.org/10.1177/000456329703400502 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 10.Reubsaet KJ, Ragnar Norli H, Hemmersbach P, Rasmussen KE (1998) Determination of benzodiazepines in human urine and plasma with solvent modified solid phase micro extraction and gas chromatography; rationalisation of method development using experimental design strategies. J Pharm Biomed Anal 18(4–5):667–680CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 13.Ovais Aziz-Zanjani M, Mehdinia A (2014) A review on procedures for the preparation of coatings for solid phase microextraction, vol 181. doi: https://doi.org/10.1007/s00604-014-1265-y
- 17.Alizadeh R, Kashkoei PK, Kazemipour M (2016) Zinc oxide-copper oxide nanoplates composite as coating for solid phase microextraction combined with high performance liquid chromatography-UV detection for trace analysis of chlorophenols in water and tomato juice samples. Anal Bioanal Chem 408(14):3727–3736. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00216-016-9457-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Alizadeh R (2016) Chlorophenol's ultra-trace analysis in environmental samples by chitosan-zinc oxide nanorod composite as a novel coating for solid phase micro-extraction combined with high performance liquid chromatography. Talanta 146:831–838. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.talanta.2015.06.004 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 21.Piñeiro-García A, González-Alatorre G, Tristan F, Fierro-Gonzalez JC, Vega-Díaz SM (2018) Simple preparation of reduced graphene oxide coatings for solid phase micro-extraction (SPME) of furfural to be detected by gas chromatography/mass spectrometry. Mater Chem Phys 213:556–561. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.matchemphys.2018.04.057 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.Zhang S, Yang Q, Li Z, Wang W, Zang X, Wang C, Wang Z (2018) Solid phase microextraction of phthalic acid esters from vegetable oils using iron (III)-based metal-organic framework/graphene oxide coating. Food Chem. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.foodchem.2018.04.132
- 23.Ghiasvand A, Koonani S, Yazdankhah F, Farhadi S (2018) A comparison study on a sulfonated graphene-polyaniline nanocomposite coated fiber for analysis of nicotine in solid samples through the traditional and vacuum-assisted HS-SPME. J Pharm Biomed Anal 149:271–277. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jpba.2017.11.020 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 24.Liu Y, Huang Y, Chen G, Huang J, Zheng J, Xu J, Liu S, Qiu J, Yin L, Ruan W, Zhu F, Ouyang G (2018) A graphene oxide-based polymer composite coating for highly-efficient solid phase microextraction of phenols. Anal Chim Acta 1015:20–26. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.aca.2018.02.034 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 29.Johansen Reubsaet K, Ragnar Norli H, Hemmersbach P, Rasmussen KE (1998) Determination of benzodiazepines in human urine and plasma with solvent modified solid phase micro extraction and gas chromatography; rationalisation of method development using experimental design strategies. J Pharm Biomed Anal 18(4):667–680. https://doi.org/10.1016/S0731-7085(98)00275-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar