Microwave-assisted synthesis of carbon dots for "turn-on" fluorometric determination of Hg(II) via aggregation-induced emission
A fluorescent probe is presented for sensitive determination of Hg(II). It is based on aggregation induced enhancement effect (AIEE) of carbon dots co-doped with nitrogen and sulfur (N,S-CDs). The N,S-CDs were prepared by a one-pot microwave-assisted method using glycerol as the reaction solvent, and cystine as the source for C, N and S. The resulting CDs are well soluble in water and have a turn-on fluorescence response to Hg(II). The incubation time and ratio of raw materials were optimized. Fluorescence, best measured at excitation/emission wavelengths of 325/385 nm, increases linearly in the 1–75 μM Hg(II) concentration range, and the detection limit is 0.5 μM. The method performed successfully when detecting Hg(II) in spiked tap and lake waters, with recoveries between 92 and 106%.
KeywordsLuminescence Nitrogen and sulfur co-doped carbon dots Carbon nanoparticles Aggregation-enhanced fluorescence AIEE Mercury ions
This work was supported by the Provincial Nature Science Foundation of Heilongjiang (Grant No. E2016039).
Compliance with ethical standards
The authors declare that they have no competing interests.
- 2.Margetinova J, Houserova-Pelcova P, Kuban V (2008) Speciation analysis of mercury in sediments, zoobenthos and river water samples by high-performance liquid chromatography hyphenated to atomic fluorescence spectrometry following preconcentration by solid phase extraction. Anal Chim Acta 615:115–123CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Miao P, Han K, Tang Y, Wang B, Lin T, Cheng W (2015) Recent advances in carbon nanodots: synthesis, properties and biomedical applications. Nano 7:1586–1595Google Scholar
- 14.Luo J, Xie Z, Lam JW, Cheng L, Chen H, Qiu C, Kwok HS, Zhan X, Liu Y, Zhu D, Tang B (2001) Aggregation-induced emission of 1-methyl-1,2,3,4,5-pentaphenylsilole. Chem Commun:1740–1741Google Scholar
- 22.Hou J, Wang W, Zhou T, Wang B, Li H, Ding L (2016) Synthesis and formation mechanistic investigation of nitrogen-doped carbon dots with high quantum yields and yellowish-green fluorescence. Nano 8:11185–11193Google Scholar
- 24.Yu L, Zhang L, Ren G, Li S, Zhu B, Chai F, Qu F, Wang C, Su Z (2018) Multicolorful fluorescent-nanoprobe composed of Au nanocluster and carbon dots for colorimetric and fluorescent sensing Hg2+ and Cr6+. Sensors Actuators B Chem 262:678–686Google Scholar