Matrix assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometric determination of benzo[a]pyrene using a MIL-101(Fe) matrix
A method is described for the matrix assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight (MALDI-TOF)-based determination of benzo[a]pyrene (BaP) by using the metal-organic framework MIL-101(Fe) as a matrix. Following optimization of the experimental parameters, the method has a detection limit as low as 0.1 μg·L−1, which makes it more sensitive than previous methods for BaP analysis, and its analysis time is only 1 min. Its applicability was evaluated by analyzing sesame oil, linseed oil, camellia seed oil, and olive oil spiked with BaP at three levels (10, 1, and 0.5 μg·kg−1), and the recovery range was found to range from 80.0 to 114.8% with relative standard deviations (RSDs) between 3.9 and 13.7%.
KeywordsBenzo[a]pyrene Metal-organic framework Matrix-assisted laser desorption/ionization time-of-flight mass spectrometry Vegetable oil
We would like to thank the National Key R&D Program of China (No. 2016YFD0401202), the Special Fund for Grain-scientific Research in the Public Interest (201513006-04), and the National Key Technology R&D Program (No. 2015BAD17B03).
All authors have given approval to the final version of the manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
The author(s) declare that they have no competing interests.
- 1.Zhang SX, Niu HY, Zhang YY, Liu JS, Shi YL, Zhang XL, Cai YQ (2012) Biocompatible phosphatidylcholine bilayer coated on magnetic nanoparticles and their application in the extraction of several polycyclic aromatichydrocarbons from environmental water and milk samples. J Chromatogr A 1238:38–45CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Nacher-Mestre J, Serrano R, Portolés T, Berntssen MHG, Pérez-Sánchez J, Hernández F (2014) Screening of pesticides and polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons in feeds and fish tissues by gas chromatography coupled to high-resolution mass spectrometry using atmospheric pressure chemical ionization. J Agric Food Chem 62:2165–2174CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Tseng MC, Obena R, Lu YW, Lin PC, Lin PY, Yen YS, Lin JT, Huang LD, Lu KL, Lai LL, Lin CC, Chen YJ (2010) Dihydrobenzoic acid modified nanoparticle as a MALDI-TOF MS matrix for soft ionization and structure determination of small molecules with diverse structures. J Am Soc Mass Spectrom 21:1930–1939Google Scholar
- 26.Yoon JW, Seo YK, Hwang YK, Chang JS, Leclerc H, Wuttke S, Bazin P, Vimont A, Daturi M, Bloh E, Llewellyn PL, Serre C, Horcajada P, Greneche JM, Rodrigues AE, Ferey G (2010) Controlled reducibility of a metal-organic framework with Coordinatively unsaturated sites for preferential gas sorption. Angew Chem Int Ed 49:5949–5952CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Gosetti F, Chiuminatto U, Mazzucco E, Robotti E, Calabrese G, Gennaro MC, Marengo E (2011) Simultaneous determination of thirteen polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons and twelve aldehydes in cooked food by an automated on-line solid-phase extraction-ultra-high-performance liquid chromatography-tandem mass spectrometry. J Chromatogr A 1218:6308CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 32.Alimentarius C (1999) Codex standard for named vegetable oils Codex Stan 210:1-13Google Scholar