Integrated fuzzy AHP and fuzzy TOPSIS methods for multi-objective optimization of electro discharge machining process
- 90 Downloads
In the present work, the working of an electro discharge machining process was studied in which four factors, namely pulse on time, duty cycle, discharge current, and gap voltage, were considered to be the controllable parameters, each at three levels, for monitoring three responses, namely material removal rate, tool wear ratio, and tool overcut. Statistical design of experiments using Taguchi’s orthogonal array (OA) technique has been utilized to determine the optimum level of process parameters so that they are least affected by noise factors for obtaining a robust design of the parameters. Acknowledging the limitation that Taguchi’s OA technique can determine optimal setting of controllable parameters for one output or response at a time, integrated fuzzy AHP and fuzzy TOPSIS methods were used in the scheme of multi-response experiment so that Taguchi’s OA technique may be applied successfully for parametric optimization. The results show that none of the factors were highly significant although discharge current had the highest contribution (31.63%) among all.
KeywordsEDM Fuzzy AHP Fuzzy TOPSIS Taguchi’s orthogonal array Multi-objective optimization
The authors are very grateful to Tool Room & Training Centre, Guwahati, Assam, for allowing us to use the die-sinking EDM facility at their premises.
This research did not receive any specific grant from funding agencies in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
T. Roy declares that he has no conflict of interest. R.K. Dutta declares that he has no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Majumder M (2015) Impact of Urbanization on Water Shortage in Face of Climatic Aberrations. 35–48. https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-4560-73-3
- Nayak BB, Mahapatra SS (2013) Multi-response optimization of WEDM process parameters using the AHP and TOPSIS method. Int J Theor Appl Res Mech Eng 2:2319–3182Google Scholar
- NPTEL IITB Module 5 design for reliability and quality; lecture 4: approach to robust design. http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/112101005/downloads/Module_5_Lecture_4_sent.pdf. Accessed 18 July 2016
- Ramakrishnan R, Karunamoorthy L, Sudhesh R, Kayalvizhi C (2003) Parametric optimization of CNC wire cut EDM based on Taguchi methodology. In: Proceedings 6th international conference on APORS. pp 579–590Google Scholar
- S.K.Pattnaik, K.D.Mahapatra, M.Priyadarshini, et al (2015) Multi objective optimization of EDM process parameters using FUZZY TOPSIS Method. In: IEEE Spons 2"d International conference on innovations in information embedded and communications systems (IClIECS) 2015 ,pp 1–5. https://doi.org/10.1109/ICIIECS.2015.7192926
- Senthil P, Vinodh S, Singh AK (2014) Parametric optimisation of EDM on Al–Cu/TiB2 in-situ metal matrix composites using TOPSIS method. Int J Mach Mach Mater 16:80–94Google Scholar