Robotic-assisted modified radical neck dissection using a bilateral axillo-breast approach (robotic BABA MRND) for papillary thyroid carcinoma with lateral lymph node metastasis
Although safe in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma (PTC), robotic thyroidectomy using a bilateral axillo-breast approach (BABA) has not been frequently performed in patients with advanced PTC. This study describes surgical outcomes in patients with PTC and lymph node metastasis (LNM) in lateral neck compartment who underwent robotic-assisted modified radical neck dissection with BABA (robotic BABA MRND).
The medical records of patients with PTC and lateral LNM who underwent robotic BABA MRND from March 2010 to July 2016 were retrospectively reviewed.
Fifteen patients, 14 women and 1 man, of mean age 37.1 ± 9.3 years, were enrolled. Mean operation time was 272.7 ± 33.8 min. A mean 20.7 ± 7.2 lymph nodes were retrieved from the lateral neck compartment, with a mean 5.3 ± 4.4 lymph nodes being metastatic. The rates of transient and permanent hypocalcemia were 46.7 and 0%, respectively, and the rates of transient and permanent vocal cord palsy were 6.7 and 0%, respectively. Fourteen patients (93.3%) had stimulated thyroglobulin concentrations below 2 ng/mL after the first treatment with radioactive iodine.
Robotic BABA MRND could be safely performed and may be a good surgical option in selected patients with PTC and lateral LNM.
KeywordsBilateral axillo-breast approach Modified radical neck dissection Papillary thyroid carcinoma Thyroid carcinoma Lymph node metastasis
This research was supported by the Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF), funded by the Ministry of Science, ICT & Future Planning, Republic of Korea (Grant Number: 2015R1C1A1A01055464).
Compliance with ethical standards
Hyeong Won Yu, Young Jun Chai, Su-jin Kim, June Young Choi, and Kyu Eun Lee have no conflicts of interest or financial ties to disclose.
Supplementary material 1 (WMV 217077 KB)
- 2.Lee KE, Koo DH, Kim SJ, Lee J, Park KS, Oh SK, Youn YK (2010) Outcomes of 109 patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma who underwent robotic total thyroidectomy with central node dissection via the bilateral axillo-breast approach. Surgery 148:1207–1213. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2010.09.018 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Choi JY, Lee KE, Chung KW, Kim SW, Choe JH, Koo DH, Kim SJ, Lee J, Chung YS, Oh SK, Youn YK (2012) Endoscopic thyroidectomy via bilateral axillo-breast approach (BABA): review of 512 cases in a single institute. Surg Endosc Other Interv Tech 26:948–955. doi: 10.1007/s00464-011-1973-x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lee KE, Koo DH, Im HJ, Park SK, Choi JY, Paeng JC, Chung JK, Oh SK, Youn YK (2011) Surgical completeness of bilateral axillo-breast approach robotic thyroidectomy: comparison with conventional open thyroidectomy after propensity score matching. Surgery 150:1266–1274. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2011.09.015 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kang SW, Lee SH, Ryu HR, Lee KY, Jeong JJ, Nam KH, Chung WY, Park CS (2010) Initial experience with robot-assisted modified radical neck dissection for the management of thyroid carcinoma with lateral neck node metastasis. Surgery 148:1214–1221. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2010.09.016 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 9.Lee J, Kwon IS, Bae EH, Chung WY (2013) Comparative analysis of oncological outcomes and quality of life after robotic versus conventional open thyroidectomy with modified radical neck dissection in patients with papillary thyroid carcinoma and lateral neck node metastases. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 98:2701–2708. doi: 10.1210/jc.2013-1583 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kang SW, Lee SC, Lee SH, Lee KY, Jeong JJ, Lee YS, Nam KH, Chang HS, Chung WY, Park CS (2009) Robotic thyroid surgery using a gasless, transaxillary approach and the da Vinci S system: the operative outcomes of 338 consecutive patients. Surgery 146:1048–1055. doi: 10.1016/j.surg.2009.09.007 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar