Euterpe oleracea Mart. seed extract protects against renal injury in diabetic and spontaneously hypertensive rats: role of inflammation and oxidative stress
Euterpe oleracea Mart. (açaí) seed extract (ASE), through its anti-hypertensive, antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, may be useful to treat or prevent human diseases. Several evidences suggest that oxidative stress and inflammation contribute to the pathogenesis of diabetic nephropathy; therefore, we tested the hypothesis that ASE (200 mg/kg−1day−1) prevents diabetes and hypertension-related oxidative stress and inflammation, attenuating renal injury.
Male rats with streptozotocin (STZ)-induced diabetes (D), and spontaneously hypertensive rats with STZ-induced diabetes (DH) were treated daily with tap water or ASE (D + ASE and DH + ASE, respectively) for 45 days. The control (C) and hypertensive (H) animals received water.
The elevated serum levels of urea and creatinine in D and DH, and increased albumin excretion in HD were reduced by ASE. Total glomeruli number in D and DH, were increased by ASE that also reduced renal fibrosis in both groups by decreasing collagen IV and TGF-β1 expression. ASE improved biomarkers of renal filtration barrier (podocin and nephrin) in D and DH groups and prevented the increased expression of caspase-3, IL-6, TNF-α and MCP-1 in both groups. ASE reduced oxidative damage markers (TBARS, carbonyl levels and 8-isoprostane) in D and DH associated with a decrease in Nox 4 and p47 subunit expression and increase in antioxidant enzyme activity in both groups (SOD, catalase and GPx).
ASE substantially reduced renal injury and prevented renal dysfunction by reducing inflammation, oxidative stress and improving the renal filtration barrier, providing a nutritional resource for prevention of diabetic and hypertensive-related nephropathy.
KeywordsEuterpe oleracea Mart Diabetes Hypertension Nephropathy Oxidative stress Inflammation
This work was conducted with grants from National Council of Scientific and Technological Development (CNPq, No. 304974/2013-7) and Rio de Janeiro State Research Agency (FAPERJ, No. E-26/111.784/2013).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
Roberto Soares de Moura is the inventor of a patent (PCT/BR02/00038) that supported the development of a new patent application (PCT/BR2007/000178). The other authors state no conflicts of interest.
The manuscript does not contain clinical studies or patient data.
- 4.Langham RG, Kelly DJ, Cox AJ, Thomson NM, Holthöfer H, Zaoui P, Pinel N, Cordonnier DJ, Gilbert RE (2002) Proteinuria and the expression of the podocyte slit diaphragm protein, nephrin, in diabetic nephropathy: effects of angiotensin converting enzyme inhibition. Diabetologia 45(11):1572–1576CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 12.Elmarakby AA, Faulkner J, Baban B, Sullivan JC (2012) Induction of hemeoxygenase-1 reduces renal oxidative stress and inflammation in diabetic spontaneously hypertensive rats. Int J Hypertens 2012:957235Google Scholar
- 16.Erejuwa OO, Sulaiman SA, Wahab MS, Sirajudeen KN, Salleh MS, Gurtu S (2011) Differential responses to blood pressure and oxidative stress in streptozotocin-induced diabetic wistar-kyoto rats and spontaneously hypertensive rats: effects of antioxidant (honey) treatment. Int J Mol Sci 12(3):1888–1907CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.de Oliveira PR, da Costa CA, de Bem GF, Cordeiro VS, Santos IB, de Carvalho LC, da Conceição EP, Lisboa PC, Ognibene DT, Sousa PJ, Martins GR, da Silva AJ, de Moura RS, Resende AC (2015) Euterpe oleracea Mart.-derived polyphenols protect mice from diet-induced obesity and fatty liver by regulating hepatic lipogenesis and cholesterol excretion. PLoS One 10(12):e0143721CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 21.da Costa CA, de Oliveira PR, de Bem GF, de Cavalho LC, Ognibene DT, da Silva AF, Dos Santos Valença S, Pires KM, da Cunha Sousa PJ, de Moura RS, Resende AC (2012) Euterpe oleracea Mart.-derived polyphenols prevent endothelial dysfunction and vascular structural changes in renovascular hypertensive rats: role of oxidative stress. Naunyn Schmiedebergs Arch Pharmacol 385(12):1199–1209CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.de Bem GF, da Costa CA, de Oliveira PR, Cordeiro VSC, Santos IB, Carvalho LRM, Souza MA, Ognibene DT, Daleprane JB, Sousa PJ, Resende AC, de Moura RS (2014) Protective effect of Euterpe oleracea Mart (acai) extract on programmed changes in the adult rat offspring caused by maternal protein restriction during pregnancy. J Pharm Pharmacol 66(9):1328–1338CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.de Oliveira PR, da Costa CA, de Bem GF, de Cavalho LC, de Souza MA, de Lemos Neto M, da Cunha Sousa PJ, de Moura RS, Resende AC (2010) Effects of an extract obtained from fruits of Euterpe oleracea Mart. in the components of metabolic syndrome induced in C57BL/6 J mice fed a high-fat diet. J Cardiovasc Pharmacol 56(6):619–626CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 26.Cordeiro VSC, Carvalho LCRM, de Bem GF, da Costa CA, Souza MAV, Sousa PJC, Rocha VN, Carvalho J, Soares de Moura R, Resende AC (2015) Euterpe oleracea Mart. extract prevents vascular remodeling and endothelial dysfunction in spontaneously hypertensive rats. Int J Appl Res Nat Prod 8(3):6–16Google Scholar
- 38.Wang Y, Wang DH (2011) Protective effect of TRPV1 against renal fibrosis via inhibition of TGF-beta/Smad signaling in DOCA-salt hypertension. Mol Med 17(11–12):1204–1212Google Scholar
- 39.Chen S, Chen H, Liu Q, Ma Q (2015) Effect of simvastatin on the expression of nephrin, podocin, and vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) in podocytes of diabetic rat. Int J Clin Exp Med 8(10):18225–18234. Google Scholar
- 46.Pessôa BS, Peixoto EB, Papadimitriou A, Lopes de Faria JM, Lopes de Faria JB (2012) Spironolactone improves nephropathy by enhancing glucose-6-phosphate dehydrogenase activity and reducing oxidative stress in diabetic hypertensive rat. J Renin Angiotensin Aldosterone Syst 13(1):56–66CrossRefGoogle Scholar