Weekend vs. weekday appendectomy for complicated appendicitis, effects on outcomes and operative approach
- 50 Downloads
We hypothesized that laparoscopic (LA) or open appendectomy (OA) outcomes in complicated appendicitis are associated with weekend vs. weekday procedure date.
We queried the Kids’ Inpatient Database (1997–2012) for complicated (540.0, 540.1) appendicitis treated with LA or OA. Propensity score (PS)-matched analysis compared outcomes associated with weekend vs. weekday LA and OA.
Overall, 103,501 cases of complicated appendicitis were identified. On 1:1 PS-matched analyses of complicated appendicitis, weekday OA had increased wound infection rates (odds ratio: 1.3) vs. weekend OA, p < 0.001. Weekend OA had higher pneumonia rates (1.4) and longer length of stay, but lower home healthcare requirement following discharge vs. weekday OA, p < 0.05. Weekend and weekday LA had no significant outcome differences.
On a PS-matched comparison of appendectomies performed for complicated appendicitis on weekends and weekdays, procedure day is associated with different complication rates and resource utilization for OA. For LA, no weekend effect was noted for complicated appendicitis. To ensure the optimal patient care, prospective studies should be sought to identify causes of complications dependent on the day of procedure.
Compliance with ethical standards
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 2.Santacroce L, Ochoa JB (2015) Appendectomy. http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/195778-overview. Accessed 1 Nov 2016
- 7.No “Weekend Effect” seen following appendix removal operations. Clinical Congress 2013 Press Releases. October 7, 2013Google Scholar
- 9.Introduction to the HCUP Kids’ Inpatient Database (KID) (2012) Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP); November 2015Google Scholar
- 14.Consumer Price Index Inflation Calculator. U.S. Department of Labor Bureau of Labor Statistics. http://www.bls.gov/data/inflation_calculator.htm. Accessed Feb 2017
- 24.Asad S, Ahmed A, Ahmad S et al (2015) Causes of delayed presentation of acute appendicitis and its impact on morbidity and mortality. J Ayub Med Coll Abbotabad 27(3):620–623Google Scholar