Interband cascade laser-based ppbv-level mid-infrared methane detection using two digital lock-in amplifier schemes
- 204 Downloads
A parts-per-billion in volume (ppbv) level mid-infrared methane (CH4) sensor system was demonstrated using second-harmonic wavelength modulation spectroscopy (2f-WMS). A 3291 nm interband cascade laser (ICL) and a multi-pass gas cell (MPGC) with a 16 m optical path length were adopted in the reported sensor system. Two digital lock-in amplifier (DLIA) schemes, a digital signal processor (DSP)-based DLIA and a LabVIEW-based DLIA, were used for harmonic signal extraction. A limit of detection (LoD) of ~ 13.07 ppbv with an averaging time of 2 s was achieved using the DSP-based DLIA and a LoD of ~ 5.84 ppbv was obtained using the LabVIEW-based DLIA with the same averaging time. A rise time of 0→2 parts-per-million in volume (ppmv) and fall time of 2→0 ppmv were observed. Outdoor atmospheric CH4 concentration measurements were carried out to evaluate the sensor performance using the two DLIA schemes.
The National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 61627823, 61775079), National Key R&D Program of China (Nos. 2017YFB0402800, 2016YFD0700101, 2016YFC0303902), Key Science and Technology R&D program of Jilin Province, China (No. 20180201046GX), Industrial Innovation Program of Jilin Province, China (No. 2017C027), and the National Science Foundation (NSF) ERC MIRTHE award and Robert Welch Foundation (No. R4925U).
- 1.R.K. Pachauri, M. Allen, V. Barros, J. Broome, W. Cramer, R. Christ, J. Church, L. Clarke, Q. Dahe, P. Dasgupta, Climate change 2014: synthesis report: contribution of working groups I, II and III to the fifth assessment report of the intergovernmental panel on climate change. J. Roman. Stud. 4(2), 85–88 (2015)Google Scholar
- 2.World Metrological Organization, The state of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere based on global observations through 2016. WMO-GAW Greenh. Gas Bul. 13, 1–8 (2017)Google Scholar
- 12.K. Sun, X. Chao, R. Sur, C.S. Goldenstein, J.B. Jeffries, R.K. Hanson, Analysis of calibration-free wavelength-scanned wavelength modulation spectroscopy for practical gas sensing using tunable diode lasers. Meas. Sci. Technol. 24(12), 1–12 (2013)Google Scholar
- 15.L. Dong, W.G. Ma, W.B. Yin, C.Y. Li, S.T. Jia, Experimental study on harmonic detection of methane by use of a digital lock-in amplifier. Spectrosc. Spectr. Anal. 25(3), 473–476 (2005)Google Scholar
- 18.W.L. Ye, C.G. Li, C.T. Zheng, N.P. Sanchez, A.K. Gluszek, A.J. Hudzikowski, L. Dong, R.J. Griffin, F.K. Tittel, Mid-infrared dual-gas sensor for simultaneous detection of methane and ethane using a single continuous-wave interband cascade laser. Opt. Express. 24(15), 16973–16985 (2016)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.C.T. Zheng, W.L. Ye, G.L. Li, X. Yu, C.X. Zhao, Z.W. Song, Y.D. Wang, Performance enhancement of a mid-infrared CH4 detection sensor by optimizing an asymmetric ellipsoid gas-cell and reducing voltage-fluctuation: theory, design and experiment. Sens. Actuators B 160(1), 389–398 (2011)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 22.L.S. Rothman, I.E. Gordon, Y. Babikov, A. Barbe, D.C. Benner, P.F. Bernath, M. Birk, L. Bizzocchi, V. Boudon, L.R. Brown, A. Campargue, K. Chance, E.A. Cohen, L.H. Coudert, V.M. Devi, B.J. Drouin, A. Fayt, J.M. Flaud, R.R. Gamache, J.J. Harrison, J.M. Hartmann, C. Hill, J.T. Hodges, D. Jacquemart, A. Jolly, J. Lamouroux, R.J. Le Roy, G. Li, D.A. Long, O.M. Lyulin, C.J. Mackie, S.T. Massie, S. Mikhailenko, H.S.P. Müller, O.V. Naumenko, A.V. Nikitin, J. Orphalu, V. Perevalov, A. Perrin, E.R. Polovtseva, C. Richard, M.A.H. Smith, E. Starikova, K. Sung, S. Tashkun, J. Tennyson, G.C. Toon, V.G. Tyuterev, G. Wagner, The Hitran 2012 molecular spectroscopic database. J. Quant. Spectrosc. Radiat. Transf. 130, 4–50 (2013)ADSCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.H.I.T.R.A.N. The Database, https://www.cfa.harvard.edu/hitran/. Accessed 30 Oct 2017
- 24.A. Chighine, E. Fisher, D. Wilson, M. Lengden, W. Johnstone, H. Mccann, An FPGA-based lock-in detection system to enable chemical species tomography using TDLAS. IEEE International Conference on Imaging Systems and Techniques, pp. 1–5 (2015)Google Scholar
- 25.H.F. Liu, B. Li, Q.X. He, J.M. Dang, H.Y. Yu, C.T. Zheng, Y.D. Wang, Development of a digital orthogonal lock-in amplifier and its application in methane detection. Acta Photon. Sin. 45(4), 18–23 (2016) (Chinese)Google Scholar