Alien or native? Examining a case of Melampyrum pratense in Iceland
- 102 Downloads
In 2016, a single, large population of Melampyrum pratense (Orobanchaceae) was discovered in Vaglaskógur forest in NE Iceland. This population can be considered as extremely disjunct as the closest population of this myrmecochorous, slowly dispersing, hemiparasitic plant species is known from the Shetland Islands located ca. 1000 km south-east from Vaglaskógur. Our research was aimed at elucidating whether the species is a recent anthropogenic addition to the Icelandic flora or if its presence should be attributed to a natural long-distance dispersal event. In order to answer this question, we employed a diversified methodological approach consisting of a traditional vegetation survey, faunistic study and two mathematical modelling techniques. Our work showed that M. pratense inhabits an almost undisturbed birch forest, and the formation of the population of this size would take more than 3000 years given the absence of main dispersal vectors. Using the distribution modelling approach, we also determined that climatic conditions facilitating the establishment of the population were in place since at least mid-Holocene.
KeywordsMelampyrum pratense Iceland Myrmecochory Ecology Long-distance dispersal
We would like to thank Halldór G. Pétursson, the editor and three anonymous reviewers who are acknowledged for their contributions that helped us improve our manuscript.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Agosti D, Alonso LE (2000) The ALL protocol: a standard protocol for the collection of ground-dwelling ants. In: Agosti D, Majer J, Alsonso L (eds) Ants, standard methods for measuring and monitoring biodiversity. Smithsonian Institution, Washington DC, p 280Google Scholar
- Bivand R, Rowlingson B, Diggle P, Petris G, Eglen S (2017) Spatial and space-time point pattern analysis–package “splancs”. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/splancs/splancs.pdf. Accessed 12 Mar 2018
- Blöndal S, Gunnarsson S (1999) Íslandsskógar - hundrað ára saga. Mál og mynd, Reykjavík (in Icelandic) Google Scholar
- Dormann CFC, Elith J, Bacher S, Carré CGC, García Márquez JR, Gruber B, Lafourcade B, Leitao PJ, Münkemüller T, McClean CJ, Osborne PE, Reneking B, Schröder B, Skidmore AK, Zurell D, Lautenbach S (2013) Collinearity: a review of methods to deal with it and a simulation study evaluating their performance. Ecography 36:27–46. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1600-0587.2012.07348.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eysteinsson T (1994) The historical development of forests in Iceland. In: Larsen J (ed) Sustainable forest management–contributions from a wrokshop in Denmark. Nordic Council of Ministers, Copenhagen, pp 39–44Google Scholar
- Hegi G (1974) Illustrierte Flora von Mittel-Europa, 2nd edn. Carl Hanser, MünchenGoogle Scholar
- Hultén E, Fries M (1986) Atlas of North European vascular plants (North of the Tropic of Cancer). Koeltz Scientific Books, KönigsteinGoogle Scholar
- Oksanen J, Blanchet FG, Friendly M, Kindt R, Legendre P, McGlinn D, Minchin PR, O’Hara RB, Simpson GL, Solymos P, Stevens MHH, Szoecs E, Wagner H (2016) Vegan: community ecology package. version 2.4-6. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/vegan/vegan.pdf. Accessed 12 Mar 2018
- Ólafsson E (1991) A Checklist of Icelandic insects. Fjölrit Náttúrufræðistofnunar 17:1–69 (in Icelandic) Google Scholar
- Ólafsson E, Richter SH (1985) The ant Hypoponera punctatissima (Roger) in Iceland. Náttúrufræðingurinn 55:139–146 (in Icelandic) Google Scholar
- Preston C, Pearman D, Dines T (2002) New atlas of the British and Irish flora. An atlas of the vascular plants of Britain, Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Channel Islands. Oxford University Press, OxfordGoogle Scholar
- R Development Core Team (2013) R: a language and environment for statistical computing. Version 3.4.4. http://www.r-project.org/. Accessed 12 Mar 2018
- Thorsteinsson I (1978) Gróður og landnýting. Landvernd, Reykjavik (in Icelandic) Google Scholar
- Trautmann H, Steuer D, Mersmann O, Bronkamp B (2014) Package “truncnorm” v. 2.01-40. https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/truncnorm/index.html. Accessed 12 Mar 2018