Gifted by Tom Flynn
- 121 Downloads
If you are looking for a “feel good” movie, Gifted is an excellent choice. How can it miss when it features a 7-year-old math prodigy, an ex-philosophy professor boat mechanic, an interfering grandmother, a supportive neighbor, and a one-eyed cat? Frank, played by Chris Evans, previously known for his role in the Captain America films, is the de factoguardian of his niece Mary, played by Mckenna Grace, whom he has homeschooled until he decides that, despite her brilliance, she needs to develop a normal social life. In her first day at the local public school she seems like a creature from another planet, astonished by the lesser beings among whom she finds herself. Her ability to do rapid multiplication, which she attributes to the Trachtenberg system, serves to mark her as the popular conception of a math prodigy, but, after all, the first-grade public school classroom is not a suitable venue for demonstrating her skill with differential equations. It does provide an opening for...
- J. Trachtenberg, The Trachtenberg Speed System of Basic Mathematics, New York, NY: Doubleday and Company, 1960.Google Scholar
- S. Frank, Little Man Tate, Los Angeles, CA: Orion Pictures, 1991.Google Scholar
- A. Jackson, “Ellenberg in Movie Gifted,” Notices of the AMS, vol. 64, p. 779, 2017.Google Scholar
- D. S. Goodman and S. Peckinpah, Straw Dogs, New York, NY: ABC Pictures, 1971.Google Scholar
- M. L. Shatterly, T. Melfi, and A. Schroeder, Hidden Figures, Santa Monica, CA: Levantine Films, 2016.Google Scholar