Overexpression of ANLN contributed to poor prognosis of anthracycline-based chemotherapy in breast cancer patients
To investigate the associations of ANLN expression with prognosis of breast cancer and clinical outcome of anthracycline-based chemotherapy.
This study enrolled 308 breast cancer patients in which 264 of them received anthracycline-based chemotherapy. Immunohistochemistry was used to detect ANLN expression level of the patients. Clinical characteristics of the patients were collected, and associations of ANLN expression with prognosis were analyzed.
Our results showed that ANLN expression was associated with survival of breast cancer patients, and it was also related to clinical outcome of patients received anthracycline-based chemotherapy. Breast cancer patients with high expression of ANLN would have poor prognosis and poor clinical outcome to anthracycline-based chemotherapy.
ANLN could be an independent prognosis predictor for breast cancer, and its expression might be used to predict the anthracycline-based chemotherapy clinical outcome in breast cancer patients.
KeywordsANLN Breast cancer Anthracycline Prognosis
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (81572612) and the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities of Central South University (2015zzts116).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 4.von Minckwitz G, Raab G, Caputo A, Schutte M, Hilfrich J, Blohmer JU, Gerber B, Costa SD, Merkle E, Eidtmann H, Lampe D, Jackisch C, du Bois A, Kaufmann M (2005) Doxorubicin with cyclophosphamide followed by docetaxel every 21 days compared with doxorubicin and docetaxel every 14 days as preoperative treatment in operable breast cancer: the GEPARDUO study of the German Breast Group. J Clin Oncol 23(12):2676–2685. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2005.05.078 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 5.Mamounas EP, Bryant J, Lembersky B, Fehrenbacher L, Sedlacek SM, Fisher B, Wickerham DL, Yothers G, Soran A, Wolmark N (2005) Paclitaxel after doxorubicin plus cyclophosphamide as adjuvant chemotherapy for node-positive breast cancer: results from NSABP B-28. J Clin Oncol 23(16):3686–3696. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2005.10.517 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Suzuki C, Daigo Y, Ishikawa N, Kato T, Hayama S, Ito T, Tsuchiya E, Nakamura Y (2005) ANLN plays a critical role in human lung carcinogenesis through the activation of RHOA and by involvement in the phosphoinositide 3-kinase/AKT pathway. Cancer Res 65(24):11314–11325. doi: 10.1158/0008-5472.CAN-05-1507 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 19.Olakowski M, Tyszkiewicz T, Jarzab M, Krol R, Oczko-Wojciechowska M, Kowalska M, Kowal M, Gala GM, Kajor M, Lange D, Chmielik E, Gubala E, Lampe P, Jarzab B (2009) NBL1 and anillin (ANLN) genes over-expression in pancreatic carcinoma. Folia histochemica et cytobiologica/Polish Academy of Sciences, Polish Histochemical and Cytochemical. Society 47(2):249–255. doi: 10.2478/v10042-009-0031-1 Google Scholar
- 20.PC OL, Penny SA, Dolan RT, Kelly CM, Madden SF, Rexhepaj E, Brennan DJ, McCann AH, Ponten F, Uhlen M, Zagozdzon R, Duffy MJ, Kell MR, Jirstrom K, Gallagher WM (2013) Systematic antibody generation and validation via tissue microarray technology leading to identification of a novel protein prognostic panel in breast cancer. BMC Cancer 13:175. doi: 10.1186/1471-2407-13-175 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 23.Klippel A, Escobedo MA, Wachowicz MS, Apell G, Brown TW, Giedlin MA, Kavanaugh WM, Williams LT (1998) Activation of phosphatidylinositol 3-kinase is sufficient for cell cycle entry and promotes cellular changes characteristic of oncogenic transformation. Mol Cell Biol 18(10):5699–5711CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 26.Graeser M, McCarthy A, Lord CJ, Savage K, Hills M, Salter J, Orr N, Parton M, Smith IE, Reis-Filho JS, Dowsett M, Ashworth A, Turner NC (2010) A marker of homologous recombination predicts pathologic complete response to neoadjuvant chemotherapy in primary breast cancer. Clin Cancer Res 16(24):6159–6168. doi: 10.1158/1078-0432.CCR-10-1027 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 31.Krop IE, Suter TM, Dang CT, Dirix L, Romieu G, Zamagni C, Citron ML, Campone M, Xu N, Smitt M, Gianni L (2015) Feasibility and cardiac safety of trastuzumab emtansine after anthracycline-based chemotherapy as (neo)adjuvant therapy for human epidermal growth factor receptor 2-positive early-stage breast cancer. J Clin Oncol 33(10):1136–1142. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2014.58.7782 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 32.Ghanbari S, Ayatollahi SM, Zare N (2015) Comparing role of two chemotherapy regimens, cmf and anthracycline-based, on breast cancer survival in the eastern mediterranean region and Asia by multivariate mixed effects models: a meta-analysis. Asian Pac J Cancer Prev: APJCP 16(14):5655–5661CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 33.Bang SM, Heo DS, Lee KH, Byun JH, Chang HM, Noh DY, Choe KJ, Bang YJ, Kim SR, Kim NK (2000) Adjuvant doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide versus cyclophosphamide, methotrexate, and 5-fluorouracil chemotherapy in premenopausal women with axillary lymph node positive breast carcinoma. Cancer 89(12):2521–2526CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 34.Jones S, Holmes FA, O’Shaughnessy J, Blum JL, Vukelja SJ, McIntyre KJ, Pippen JE, Bordelon JH, Kirby RL, Sandbach J, Hyman WJ, Richards DA, Mennel RG, Boehm KA, Meyer WG, Asmar L, Mackey D, Riedel S, Muss H, Savin MA (2009) Docetaxel With cyclophosphamide is associated with an overall survival benefit compared with doxorubicin and cyclophosphamide: 7-year follow-up of US oncology research trial 9735. J Clin Oncol 27(8):1177–1183. doi: 10.1200/JCO.2008.18.4028 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 35.Muss HB, Thor AD, Berry DA, Kute T, Liu ET, Koerner F, Cirrincione CT, Budman DR, Wood WC, Barcos M et al (1994) c-erbB-2 expression and response to adjuvant therapy in women with node-positive early breast cancer. N Engl J Med 330(18):1260–1266. doi: 10.1056/NEJM199405053301802 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 37.Spencer DM, Bilardi RA, Koch TH, Post GC, Nafie JW, Kimura K, Cutts SM, Phillips DR (2008) DNA repair in response to anthracycline-DNA adducts: a role for both homologous recombination and nucleotide excision repair. Mutat Res 638(1–2):110–121. doi: 10.1016/j.mrfmmm.2007.09.005 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 40.Gillett C, Smith P, Gregory W, Richards M, Millis R, Peters G, Barnes D (1996) Cyclin D1 and prognosis in human breast cancer. Int J Cancer 69(2):92–99. doi: 10.1002/(SICI)1097-0215(19960422)69:2<92::AID-IJC4>3.0.CO;2-Q CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar