Development of acute myeloid leukemia in patients with untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia
The development of acute myeloid leukemia (AML) in patients with untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia (CLL) is rare. We experienced a 65-year-old man who developed AML with aberrant CD7 expression and monoallelic CEBPA mutation during watchful waiting for CLL. He failed to achieve complete response (CR) by standard induction therapy for AML. We retrospectively reviewed 27 patients who developed AML with untreated CLL published between 1973 and 2016. The median age at diagnosis of AML was 68 years, and the median duration between the diagnoses of AML and CLL was 4.2 years. Diagnosis of AML and CLL was made simultaneously in 16 patients. The CR rate of AML was 42.9%, and the median survival was only 1.5 months after the diagnosis of AML. Patients who achieved CR tended to survive longer than those who did not. Our results demonstrated that the development of AML in patients with untreated CLL was associated with a poor response to chemotherapy and an extremely poor prognosis.
KeywordsChronic lymphocytic leukemia Acute myeloid leukemia Secondary leukemia Chemotherapy
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- 2.Tsimberidou AM, Wen S, McLaughlin P, O'Brien S, Wierda WG, Lerner S, Strom S, Freireich EJ, Medeiros LJ, Kantarjian HM, Keating MJ (2009) Other malignancies in chronic lymphocytic leukemia/small lymphocytic lymphoma. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 27(6):904–910. doi: 10.1200/jco.2008.17.5398 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 4.Tambaro FP, Garcia-Manero G, O'Brien SM, Faderl SH, Ferrajoli A, Burger JA, Pierce S, Wang X, Do KA, Kantarjian HM, Keating MJ, Wierda WG (2016) Outcomes for patients with chronic lymphocytic leukemia and acute leukemia or myelodysplastic syndrome. Leukemia 30(2):325–330. doi: 10.1038/leu.2015.227 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 7.Swerdlow SH, Harris NL, Campo E (eds) (2008) WHO classification of tumours of haematopoietic and lymphoid tissues. Lyon IARC,Google Scholar
- 23.Gottardi M, Gattei V, Degan M, Bomben R, Zucchetto A, Tecchio C, Laurino L, Zanatta L, Dei Tos AP, Mordacchini M, Canal F, Gherlinzoni F (2006) Concomitant chronic lymphocytic leukemia and acute myeloid leukemia: evidence of simultaneous expansion of two independent clones. Leuk Lymphoma 47(5):885–889. doi: 10.1080/10428190500404761 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 25.Pavlisa G, Kolonic SO, Minigo H, Kardum-Skelin I, Kardum-Paro MM, Jaksic B (2006) Acute leukemia in patients with untreated chronic lymphocytic leukemia: a report of two cases with remarkably similar time cluster. Leuk Lymphoma 47(5):950–952. doi: 10.1080/10428190500403144 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 26.Carulli G, Marini A, Baccelli E, Lambelet P, Lari T, Azzara A (2007) Association of B-chronic lymphocytic leukemia and acute myeloid leukemia. Journal of experimental & clinical cancer research : CR 26(3):421–424Google Scholar
- 27.Katz JB, Curran AL, Zemba-Palko V, Dabrow MB, Denshaw-Burke MT (2010) Synchronous diagnosis of chronic lymphocytic leukemia and acute myeloid leukemia. Journal of clinical oncology : official journal of the American Society of Clinical Oncology 28(35):e726–e728. doi: 10.1200/jco.2010.30.2091 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 30.SEER Cancer Statistics Factsheets: National Cancer Institute. Bethesda, MD, [cited 2016 April]. http://seer.cancer.gov/statfacts/html/amyl.html.
- 32.[Internet] HmiE Northern and Yorkshire Cancer Registry and Information Service (NYCRIS) Haematological malignancies in England: Cancers Diagnosed 2001–2008. http://www.ncin.org.uk/view?rid=1787. Accessed January 2013
- 37.Landau DA, Carter SL, Stojanov P, McKenna A, Stevenson K, Lawrence MS, Sougnez C, Stewart C, Sivachenko A, Wang L, Wan Y, Zhang W, Shukla SA, Vartanov A, Fernandes SM, Saksena G, Cibulskis K, Tesar B, Gabriel S, Hacohen N, Meyerson M, Lander ES, Neuberg D, Brown JR, Getz G, Wu CJ (2013) Evolution and impact of subclonal mutations in chronic lymphocytic leukemia. Cell 152(4):714–726. doi: 10.1016/j.cell.2013.01.019 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- 38.Staal FJ, Famili F, Garcia Perez L, Pike-Overzet K (2016) Aberrant Wnt Signaling in Leukemia. Cancers 8(9). doi: 10.3390/cancers8090078
- 40.Grimwade D, Hills RK, Moorman AV, Walker H, Chatters S, Goldstone AH, Wheatley K, Harrison CJ, Burnett AK (2010) Refinement of cytogenetic classification in acute myeloid leukemia: determination of prognostic significance of rare recurring chromosomal abnormalities among 5876 younger adult patients treated in the United Kingdom Medical Research Council trials. Blood 116(3):354–365. doi: 10.1182/blood-2009-11-254441 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 41.Tong WG, Wierda WG, Lin E, Kuang SQ, Bekele BN, Estrov Z, Wei Y, Yang H, Keating MJ, Garcia-Manero G (2010) Genome-wide DNA methylation profiling of chronic lymphocytic leukemia allows identification of epigenetically repressed molecular pathways with clinical impact. Epigenetics 5(6):499–508CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar