Quality of life of patients with osteonecrosis of the femoral head: a multicentre study
- 178 Downloads
Quality-of-life (QOL) assessments in patients with osteonecrosis of the femoral head (ONFH) have rarely been reported. This multicentre study aimed to elucidate the relationship between disease severity, including necrotic lesion type and radiological staging, and QOL, as well as between patients’ characteristics and QOL.
Two hundred seventy-four patients with ONFH (108 females, 166 males; median age, 46 years) were asked to complete self-assessment QOL questionnaires including the Japanese Orthopaedic Association Hip Disease Evaluation Questionnaire, Oxford Hip Score, and SF-12v2.
Patients with large necrotic lesion type or collapsed ONFH had low QOL scores. Among patients with non-collapsed lesions, patients with alcohol-associated ONFH had lower QOL scores than those with steroid-associated ONFH, those with bilateral ONFH had lower mental scores, and male patients had worse social condition scores. Among patients with collapsed lesions, middle-aged patients exhibited lower mental QOL, and a strong correlation was observed between social activity and mental health.
Collapsed ONFH was associated with low QOL scores. Among patients with non-collapsed lesions, alcohol-associated ONFH, bilateral disease, and male sex were linked to low QOL scores.
KeywordsOsteonecrosis of the femoral head (ONFH) Quality of life (QOL) Radiological stage Steroid-associated Alcohol-associated
Japanese Investigating Committee
Japanese Orthopaedic Association Hip-Disease Evaluation Questionnaire
Oxford Hip Score
Physical component summary
Mental component summary
Role/social component summary
We thank Prof Wakaba Fukushima and Mr. Kazuya Ito for their helpful advices. We also thank Drs Hiromasa Tanino, Toshiyuki Tateiwa, Yusuke Kubo, Daisuke Inoue, Satoshi Kubota, Hiroyuki Ike, Yohei Naito, Masaki Takao, and Hidetoshi Hamada for their helpful support.
The principal investigator (NS) of the Japanese Investigation Committee under the auspices of the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare received a research grant from the Ministry of Health and Welfare of Japan (Research on Measures for Intractable Diseases).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
- 2.Sugano N, Ohzono K, Masuhara K, Takaoka K, Ono K (1994) Prognostication of osteonecrosis of the femoral head in patients with systemic lupus erythematosus by magnetic resonance imaging. Clin Orthop Rlelat Res 305:190–199Google Scholar
- 6.Sugioka Y, Katsuki I, Hotokebuchi T (1982) Transtrochanteric rotational osteotomy of the femoral head for the treatment of osteonecrosis. Follow-up statistics. Clin Orthop Relat Res 169:115–126Google Scholar
- 10.Kuroda Y, Asada R, So K, Yonezawa A, Nankaku M, Mukai K, Ito-Ihara T, Tada H, Yamamoto M, Murayama T, Morita S, Tabata Y, Yokode M, Shimizu A, Matsuda S, Akiyama H (2016) A pilot study of regenerative therapy using controlled release of rhFGF-2 for patients with precollapse osteonecrosis of the femoral head. Int Orthop 40(8):1747–1754CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Matsumoto T, Kaneuji A, Hiejima Y, Sugiyama H, Akiyama H, Atsumi T, Ishii M, Izumi K, Ichiseki T, Ito H, Okawa T, Ohzono K, Otsuka H, Kishida S, Kobayashi S, Sawaguchi T, Sugano N, Nakajima I, Nakamura S, Hasegawa Y, Fukuda K, Fujii G, Mawatari T, Mori S, Yasunaga Y, Yamaguchi M (2012) Japanese Orthopaedic Association Hip Disease Evaluation Questionnaire (JHEQ): a patient-based evaluation tool for hip-joint disease. Subcommittee on Hip Disease Evaluation of the Clinical Outcome Committee of the Japanese Orthopaedic. J. Orthop Sci 17:25–38CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Karnofsky DA, Burchenal JH (1949) Evaluation of chemotherapeutic agents. In: Macleod CM (ed) Colombia. University Press, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 19.Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare (2014) National health and nutrition examination survey. 23(in Japanese) http://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/houdou/0000106405.html