Development and biodistribution of 188Re-SSS lipiodol following injection into the hepatic artery of healthy pigs
- 137 Downloads
Although intra-arterial radiotherapy with 131I-labelled lipiodol is a useful therapeutic approach in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinomas, various disadvantages limit its use. Here we describe the development of 188Re-SSS lipiodol, as well as its biodistribution in the healthy pig after injection into the hepatic artery. The 188Re-SSS lipiodol was obtained after dissolving a chelating agent, previously labelled with 188Re, in cold lipiodol. The radiochemical purity (RCP) of the labelling was checked immediately and at 24 and 48 h. The 188Re-SSS lipiodol was injected into the hepatic artery of six healthy pigs. They were killed 1, 24 and 48 h post injection, for ex vivo counting. An autoradiographic study was performed in three cases. 188Re-SSS lipiodol was obtained with a yield of 87%±9.1%. The immediate RCP was 93%±3.4%. This radiolabelling was reproducible and stable at 48 h in plasma: 90.6%±1.5% of the activity remained in the lipiodol with an RCP of 91%±4%. Ex vivo counting confirmed the predominantly hepatic uptake and revealed weak lung and intestinal uptake. There was very weak urinary elimination (2.3%±0.5% at 48 h) and a slightly higher level of intestinal elimination (4.8%±1.9% at 48 h). The autoradiographic studies showed 188Re-SSS lipiodol to be located mainly in sinusoids, like 131I-lipiodol. By using the method described here, 188Re-SSS lipiodol can be obtained with a very high yield and a satisfactory RCP. Its biodistribution in the healthy pig is in agreement with data published elsewhere concerning other types of radiolabelling used for lipiodol, except for the very weak urinary and intestinal elimination, which probably indicates better stability of 188Re-SSS labelling.
KeywordsMetabolic radiotherapy Liver Animal Hepatocellular carcinoma
We cordially thank the League Against Cancer (Ille et Vilaine and Morbihan, France) for their financial support, and S. Abgrall and A. Trichet for their technical assistance in performing the autoradiographic studies.
- 3.Garin E, Bourguet P. Radiolipiodol of liver tumors. In: Ell PJ, Gambhir SS, eds. Nuclear medicine in clinical diagnosis and treatment, 3rd edn. Edinburgh: Elsevier Science; 2003:in press.Google Scholar
- 4.Raoul JL, Guyader D, Bretagne JF, Heautot JF, Duvauferrier R, Bourguet P, Bekhechi D, Deugnier Y, Gosselin M. Prospective randomized trial of chemoembolization versus intra-arterial injection of131I-labeled iodized oil in the treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma. Hepatology 1997; 26:1156–1161.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 5.Raoul JL, Guyader D, Bretagne JF, Duvauferrier R, Bourguet P, Bekhechi D, Deugnier Y, Gosselin M. Randomized controlled trial for hepatocellular carcinoma with portal vein thrombosis: intra-arterial iodine-131-iodized oil versus medical support. J Nucl Med 1994; 35:1782–1787.Google Scholar
- 9.Sundram FX, Jeong JM, Zanzonico P, Bernal P, Chau T, Onkhuudai P, Divgi C, Knapp FF (Russ) Jr. Trans-arterial rhenium-188 lipiodol in the treatment of inoperable hepatocellular carcinoma. An IAEA sponsored multi-centre phase 1 study. World J Nucl Med 2002; 1:5–11.Google Scholar
- 10.Mévellec F, Tisato F, Refosco F, Roucoux A, Noiret N, Patin H, Bandoli G. Synthesis and characterization of the “sulfur-rich” bis(perthiobenzoato)(dithiobenzoato)technetium(III) heterocomplex. Inorg Chem 2002; 41:589–601.Google Scholar
- 11.Garin E, Noiret N, Malbert CH, Lepareur N, Roucoux A, Dazord L, Caulet-Maugendre S, Turlin B, Moisan A, Lecloirec J, Herry JY, Boucher E, Raoul JL, Bourguet P. Development of99mTc-labelled lipiodol: biodistribution following injection into hepatic artery of healthy pig. Nucl Med Commun 2003:in press.Google Scholar
- 12.Hambue AS, Dobbeleir AA, Vervaet AM, Knapp FF Jr. Image quality with rhenium-188 and technetium-99m: comparative planar and SPECT evaluation in a phantom study and implications for dosimetry. World J Nucl Med 2002; 1:12–20.Google Scholar
- 13.Raoul JL, Bourguet P, Bretagne JF, Duvauferrier R, Coornaert S, Darnault P, Ramée A, Herry JY, Gastard J. Hepatic artery injection of I-131-labeled lipiodol. Part 1. Biodistribution study results in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma and liver metastases. Radiology 1988; 168:541–545.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- 14.Lambert B, Bacher K, Gemmel F, Defreyne L, Jeong JM, Thierens G, Slegers G, Vandewiele C, Dierckx RA, De Vos F.188Re-lipiodol for locoregional treatment of hepatocellular carcinoma: a phase I study. Eur J Nucl Med Mol Imaging 2003; 30 (Suppl 2):S219.Google Scholar