Symptomatic os talus secundarius: a case report and review of the literature
- 345 Downloads
Os talus secundarius is an extremely rare accessory ossicle located at the lateral aspect of the talus just anterior to the fibula. Although rarely seen, it may cause lateral-sided chronic ankle pain. Only a few cases of symptomatic os talus secundarius have been reported to date. Herein, a 42-year-old male patient with symptomatic os talus secundarius is presented, and its imaging findings, differential diagnosis, and treatment are discussed.
Level of evidence: Level IV.
KeywordsAccessory ossicle Foot Os talus secundarius Talus Fracture Symptomatic
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
None of the authors has any conflicts of interest.
All procedures in studies involving human participants were performed in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Declaration of Helsinki and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from the patient.
- 2.Pfitzner W. Beiträge zur Kenntniss des menschlichen Extremitätenskelets. Morphol Arbeiten. 1896;6:245–528.Google Scholar
- 9.Zwiers R, de Leeuw PAJ, Kerkhoffs GMMJ, van Dijk CN. A rare cause of lateral ankle pain: a symptomatic talus secundarius. Foot Ankle Surg. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.fas.2017.03.011.
- 11.Čihák R. Ontogenesis and homologies of human carpal and tarsal components. In: Ontogenesis of the skeleton and intrinsic muscles of the human hand and foot. Springer, Berlin, 1972. pp 12–59.Google Scholar
- 16.Coughlin MJ. Sesamoids and accessory bones of the foot. In: Coughlin MJ, Anderson RB, Anderson RB, editors. Mann’s surgery of the foot and Ankle. 9th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2014. p. 493–551.Google Scholar
- 17.Banerjee R, Nickisch F. Fractures and fracture-dislocations of the talus. In: Coughlin MJ, Anderson RB, Anderson RB, editors. Mann’s surgery of the foot and ankle, 9th ed. Philadelphia: Elsevier; 2014. p. 2102–49.Google Scholar
- 18.http://medical-dictionary.thefreedictionary.com/accessory+ossicles Accessed 28 July 2017.
- 20.Andreacchio A, Marengo L, Canavese F. Solitary osteochondroma of the sinus tarsi. J Pediatr Orthop B. 2017; https://doi.org/10.1097/BPB.0000000000000447.