Ficellomycin: an aziridine alkaloid antibiotic with potential therapeutic capacity
- 186 Downloads
Ficellomycin is an aziridine antibiotic produced by Streptomyces ficellus, which displays high in vitro activity against Gram-positive bacteria including multidrug resistant strains of Staphylococcus aureus. Compared to currently available antibiotics, ficellomycin exhibits a unique mechanism of action—it impairs the semiconservative DNA replication by inducing the formation of deficient 34S DNA fragments, which lack the ability to integrate into larger DNA pieces and eventually the complete bacterial chromosome. Until recently, some important progress has been made in research on ficellomycin synthesis and biosynthesis, opening the perspective to develop a new generation of antibiotics with better clinical performance than the currently used ones. In this review, we will cover the discovery and biological activity of ficellomycin, its biosynthesis, mode of action, and related synthetic analogs. The role of ficellomycin and its analogs as an important source of drug prototypes will be discussed together with future research prospects.
KeywordsFicellomycin Antibiotics Aziridine Streptomyces ficellus MRSA
This research was financially supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant No. 81373309) and the National High-Tech Research and Development Plan of China (Grant No. 2013AA102803; Task No. 2013AA102803C).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Brandt A, Gardner M (2003) Companion to medicine in the twentieth century. Routledge, AbingdonGoogle Scholar
- Frances M, William E, Charlesnika T, Michael Y, William A, Mai T, Susan C, Kathleen M, Stuart J, Monica K, Lance R, Anthony E, Dale N (2017) The impact of recurrent clostridium difficile infection on patients’ prevention behaviors. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol 38:1351–1357. https://doi.org/10.1017/ice.2017.208 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gracia M (2007) Torwards the total synthesis of ficellomycin. dissertation, University of Warwick. UKGoogle Scholar
- McMechen M. (2016) Synthesis of the Azabicyclo[3.1.0]hexane Ring Core of Ficellomycin. Proceedings of the national conference on undergraduate research (NCUR). Doi: http://ncurproceedings.org/ojs/index.php/NCUR2016/article/view/1671
- Paumier D, Garcia M, Shipman M, Muir J (2004) Rapid assembly of the 1-Azabicyclo[3.1.0]hexane skeleton of ficellomycin. Synlett (12):2212–2214Google Scholar