Phase-retrieval-based synchrotron X-ray micro-tomography for 3D structural characterization and quantitative analysis of agalloch eaglewood
- 47 Downloads
The propagation-based phase-contrast computed micro-tomography (PPCT) dominates the nondestructive three-dimensional inner structure measurement in biological and soft material research, especially for the synchrotron-based application. It is essential for botanic assessments in plant physiology and eco-physiology to quantitatively visualize microstructures and tiny density variations in wood tissues. An experimental study of synchrotron-based X-ray PPCT combined with the presented phase-attenuation-duality phase retrieval (PR) algorithm was implemented with the agalloch eaglewood specimens at different stages. Due to the striking contrast-to-noise ratio and density resolution of the PR-PPCT technique, the experimental results successfully visualized the three-dimensional morphological characterization of different tissues of agalloch eaglewood specimens, and the feature distribution of eaglewood resin was quantitatively segmented and measured for statistic analysis of component volume and size of eaglewood growth. It was demonstrated that the PR-PPCT technique has a great potential for 3D visualization and quantitative analysis of structural characteristics of agalloch eaglewood, associated with resin formation and distribution in specimens, and it is helpful for the wood science and application.
The authors would like to thank the staff of BL13W1 at SSRF. This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (Grant Nos. 81660306, 11475248, 11505277).
- Barden A (2000) Heart of the matter: agarwood use and trade and CITES implementation for Aquilaria malaccensis. Traffic International, Cambridge. ISBN 1-85850-177-6Google Scholar
- Broad S (1995) Agarwood harvesting in Vietnam. Traffic Bull 88:15–96Google Scholar
- Davis JR, Lerdin A, Wells P, Ilic J (1991) X-ray microtomography of wood. J Inst Wood Sci 12:259–261Google Scholar
- Ng LT, Chang YS, Kadir AA (1997) A review on agar (gaharu) producing Aquilaria species. J Trop For Prod 2(2):272–285Google Scholar
- Wu X, Liu H (2003) A general theoretical formalism for X-ray phase contrast imaging. J X-ray Sci Technol 11:33–42Google Scholar
- Zhou T, Larsson DH, Stampanoni M, Hertz HM (2014) Comparison of propagation-based X-ray phase-contrast imaging techniques with a liquid-metal-jet source. Proc SPIE 9033(1):131–135Google Scholar