A Note on Weak Solutions of Conservation Laws and Energy/Entropy Conservation
- 387 Downloads
A common feature of systems of conservation laws of continuum physics is that they are endowed with natural companion laws which are in such cases most often related to the second law of thermodynamics. This observation easily generalizes to any symmetrizable system of conservation laws; they are endowed with nontrivial companion conservation laws, which are immediately satisfied by classical solutions. Not surprisingly, weak solutions may fail to satisfy companion laws, which are then often relaxed from equality to inequality and overtake the role of physical admissibility conditions for weak solutions. We want to answer the question: what is a critical regularity of weak solutions to a general system of conservation laws to satisfy an associated companion law as an equality? An archetypal example of such a result was derived for the incompressible Euler system in the context of Onsager’s conjecture in the early nineties. This general result can serve as a simple criterion to numerous systems of mathematical physics to prescribe the regularity of solutions needed for an appropriate companion law to be satisfied.
- 1.Ball, J.M.: Some open problems in elasticity. In: Geometry, Mechanics, and Dynamics, pages 3–59. Springer, New York, 2002.Google Scholar
- 5.Buckmaster, T., De Lellis, C., Székelyhidi, L. Jr., Vicol V.: Onsager’s conjecture for admissible weak solutions. arXiv:1701.08678, 2017.
- 8.Constantin, P., E,W., Titi, E.S.: Onsager’s conjecture on the energy conservation for solutions of Euler’s equation. Commun. Math. Phys., 165(1), 207–209 (1994)Google Scholar
- 9.Dafermos, C.M.: Hyperbolic conservation laws in continuum physics, volume 325 of Grundlehren der Mathematischen Wissenschaften [Fundamental Principles of Mathematical Sciences]. Springer, Berlin, fourth edition, 2016.Google Scholar
- 15.Drivas, T.D., Eyink, G.L.: An Onsager singularity theorem for turbulent solutions of compressible Euler equations. Commu. Math. Phys. 2017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00220-017-3078-4.
- 20.Isett, P.: A Proof of Onsager’s Conjecture. arXiv:1608.08301, 2016.
- 21.Isett, P.: Hölder continuous Euler flows in three dimensions with compact support in time, volume 196 of Annals of Mathematics Studies. Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 2017.Google Scholar
- 23.Landau, L.D., Lifshitz, E.M.: Electrodynamics of Continuous Media. Volume VIII of Course of Theoretical Physics. Pergamon Press, 1961.Google Scholar
Open AccessThis article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.