An innovative method for producing balls from scrap rail heads
- 22 Downloads
The paper describes an innovative technological solution for producing balls from scrap rail heads. The proposed method consists in performing the following operations: the side pressing of a rail head to increase shape compactness, a process for forming a cylindrical rod by cross-wedge rolling (CWR), a CWR process for producing balls that have a diameter which is by 35% larger than that of the billet, quenching of the produced balls. Tools for the above manufacturing operations are designed, and numerical simulations are performed to verify whether the assumptions of the proposed technique are correct. A flat-wedge reversing mill is designed and constructed that enables performing the two abovementioned rolling operations without idle running, which makes the design innovative on a global scale. The implementation of the proposed method would enable producing balls for grinding media used in ball mills.
KeywordsBall forming Multi-wedge cross rolling Flat-wedge reverse rolling mill FEM Experiment
This research was part of the agreement no. INNOTECH-K3/IN3/12/226286/NCBR/14 on conducting and financing projects under the “INNOTECH” program, IN-TECH program path.
- 3.Pater Z, Tomczak J (2012) Helical rolling of balls for ball mills. LUT ed, LublinGoogle Scholar
- 6.Shu X, Li Z, Zu W (2012) Bending analysis and measures of the forming of automobile semi-axle on cross-wedge rolling with multi-wedge. Appl Mech Mater 184-185:75–79. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.184-185.75 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 7.Yuan W, Wang Z, Shi B (2012) Theoretical analysis of the displacement on the end-section of the rolled parts for multi-wedge cross wedge rolling. Adv Mater Res 538-541:1162–1169. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.538-541.1162 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Pater Z (2014) Method for cross rolling of products in the shape of balls, in particular out of scrap railway rail heads. EU Patent no EP 2537605 B1Google Scholar
- 10.Pater Z (2014) Method for transverse rolling of ball products, in particular out of scrap railway rail heads using flat tools. EU Patent no EP2540409 B1Google Scholar
- 11.Piedrahita F, Garcia Arana L, Chastel Y (2005) Three dimensional numerical simulation of cross-wedge rolling of bars. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Technology of Plasticity ICTP. Verona. (CD-ROM)Google Scholar
- 12.Meyer M, Stonis M, Behrnes BA (2012) Cross wedge rolling preforms for crankshafts. Key Eng Mat 504-506:205–210. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/KEM.504-506.205 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Shu X, Wei X, Li C, Hu Z (2010) The influence rules of stress about technical parameters on synchronous rolling railway axis with multi-wedge cross-wedge rolling. Appl Mech Mater 37-38:1482–1488. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.37-38.1482 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Zhao J, Lu L (2012) The application of multi-wedge cross wedge rolling forming long shaft technology. Appl Mech Mater 101-102:1002–1005. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMM.101-102.1002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Xing X, Shu X (2008) Finite element analysis of stress and strain in two-wedge cross wedge rolling step-shaft part. Mater Sci Forum 575-578:255–260. https://doi.org/10.4028/www.scientific.net/MSF.575-578.255 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 20.Pater Z (2014) Cross-wedge rolling. Comprehensive materials processing 3:211–279. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-096532-1.00315-0
Open Access This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution 4.0 International License (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/), which permits unrestricted use, distribution, and reproduction in any medium, provided you give appropriate credit to the original author(s) and the source, provide a link to the Creative Commons license, and indicate if changes were made.