An intelligent sampling approach for metamodel-based multi-objective optimization with guidance of the adaptive weighted-sum method
- 353 Downloads
In order to reduce the computational cost of multi-objective optimization (MOO) with expensive black-box simulation models, an intelligent sampling approach (ISA) is proposed with the guidance of the adaptive weighted-sum method (AWS) to construct a metamodel for MOO gradually. The initial metamodel is built by using radial basis function (RBF) with Latin Hypercube Sampling (LHS) to distribute samples over the design space. An adaptive weighted-sum method is then employed to obtain the Pareto Frontier (POF) efficiently based on the metamodel constructed. The design variables related to extreme points on the frontier and an extra point interpolated between the maximal-minimal-distance point along the frontier and the nearest boundary point are selected as the concerned points to update the metamodel, which could improve the metamodel accuracy gradually. This iterative updating strategy is performed until the optimization problem is converged. A series of representative mathematical examples are systematically investigated to demonstrate the effectiveness of the proposed method, and finally it is employed for the design of a bus body frame.
KeywordsMulti-objective optimization Intelligent sampling technique Adaptive weighted-sum method Radial basis function
This work is supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (NO. 51575044), the Science and Technology Planning Project of Beijing City (NO. Z161100001416007) and the National Key R&D Program of China (NO. 2017YFB0103801).
- Cox DD, John S (1997) SDO: a statistical method for global optimization. In: Alexandrov N, Hussaini MY (eds) Multidisciplinary Design Optimization: State of the Art. SIAM, Philadelphia, pp 315–329Google Scholar
- Fang J, Qiu N, An X, Xiong F, Sun G, Li Q (2017a) Crashworthiness design of a steel-aluminum hybrid rail using multi-response objective-oriented sequential optimization. Adv Eng Softw. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.advengsoft.2017.05.013
- Lin C, Gao FL, Bai YC (2017) Multiobjective reliability-based design optimisation for front structure of an electric vehicle using hybrid metamodel accuracy improvement strategy-based probabilistic sufficiency factor method. Int J Crashworthines. https://doi.org/10.1080/13588265.2017.1317466
- Preuss M, Naujoks B, Rudolph G (2006) Pareto set and EMOA behavior for simple multimodal multiobjective functions. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 4193:513–522Google Scholar
- Schonlau M (1998) Computer experiments and global optimization. University of Waterloo, WaterlooGoogle Scholar
- Wang GG, Shan S (2004) Design space reduction for multi-objective optimization and robust design optimization problems. SAE Trans 113:101–110Google Scholar
- Wang H, Yao LG, Hua ZZ (2008) Optimization of sheet metal forming processes by adaptive response surface based on intelligent sampling method. J Mater Process Technol 197(1–3):77–88Google Scholar
- Zhang Y, Gong DW, Cheng J (2017b) Multi-objective particle swarm optimization approach for cost-based feature selection in classification. IEEE ACM T Comput BI 14:64–75Google Scholar