Some Results on a Class of Polynomials Related to Convolutions of the Catalan Sequence
- 85 Downloads
Motivated by the search of the singular values of Jordan blocks, in a previous paper (Capparelli and Maroscia in Med J Math 10:1609–1630, 2013) we studied, among other things, a family of monic polynomials with integer coefficients that turned out to be linked to convolutions of the sequence of Catalan numbers. In the present paper, we continue the study of these polynomials and prove, in particular, the irreducibility of an infinite subset of them. As an interesting byproduct, we also obtain a simple rational function in two variables which can be naturally thought of as the generating function of the Catalan number sequence and all its convolutions.
Mathematics Subject Classification (2010)Primary 11C08 Secondary 11R09
KeywordsIrreducibility Newton’s polygon Dumas’ theorem Catalan numbers ballot numbers Bezoutian matrix Hankel matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Gantmacher, F.R.: The Theory of Matrices. GITTL, Moscow (1953); English transl., vol. 2. Chelsea, New York (1959)Google Scholar
- 6.Glaisher J.: On the residue of a binomial-theorem coefficient with respect to a prime modulus. Q. J. Pure Appl. Math. 30, 150–156 (1899)Google Scholar
- 7.Hermite C.: Remarques sur le théorème de Sturm. C. R. Acad. Sci. Paris 36, 32–54 (1853)Google Scholar
- 11.Stanley, R.: Enumerative Combinatorics, vol. 2. Cambridge Studies in Advanced Mathematics, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.Sylvester, J.J.: Mathematical Papers, vol. I, pp. 511 ff. Chelsea, New York (1973)Google Scholar