Friendly and Beautiful: Environmental Aesthetics in Twenty-First-Century Architecture
- 759 Downloads
Until recently, environmental control systems have been more often suppressed than expressed, hidden from casual observers and building users, rarely featured as architectural design elements, or considered aesthetically. While the impact of the overall form of a building on its thermal environmental performance may not always be apparent, the mutual influences of shape, form and orientation should be evident to – if not a basic activity of – a wellinformed professional. A primary aim of this paper is to encourage a new aesthetic sensibility for the 21st century; one that conceives architectural form with respect to environmental context and ecological efficiency. Toward this end, I propose a method of comparative analysis, using several recently completed and speculative architectural projects.
KeywordsEnvironmental control systems architectural design elements architectural form geometry and aesthetics
- Banham Reyner. (1969) Architecture of the Well-Tempered Environment. Architecture Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Daniels, Klaus. 1997. The Technology of Ecological Building: Basic Principles and Measures, Examples and Ideas. Trans., Elizabeth Schwaiger. Basel: Birkhäuser.Google Scholar
- Fathy, Hassan. 1994. Architecture and Environment. The Arid Lands Newletter 36 (Fall/Winter 1994). http://www.ag.arizona.edu/OALS/ALN/aln36/Fathy.html.
- Herzog, Thomas (ed.) (1996) Solar Energy in Architecture and Urban Planning. Prestel, MunichGoogle Scholar
- Jencks Charles. (2002) The New Paradigm in Architecture. Yale University Press, New Haven and LondonGoogle Scholar
- Jones, David Lloyd. 1998. Architecture and the environment, bioclimatic building design. Coordinating Researcher, Jennifer Hudson. London, Laurence King.Google Scholar
- Lang Jon. (1987) Creating Architectural Theory: The role of the Behavioural Sciences in Environmental Design. Van Nostrand Reinhold, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Mostafa, R. 2008. Environmental Architecture Aesthetics: An Intermediate Relation between Environmental Architecture and Aesthetics in Architecture. Master diss., Cairo University.Google Scholar
- Salah, N. 2006. Aesthetics and Form in Architecture, between Theory and Application. Master diss., Cairo University.Google Scholar
- Science Park Gelsenkirchen. ArchINFORM. Science Park Gelsenkirchen, 1994-2009. http://eng.archinform.net/projekte/3570.htm
- Wines, James. 2000. Green Architecture. Ed. Philip Jodidio. Köln: Benedikt Taschen VerlagGoogle Scholar