Long Non-Coding RNA SNHG6 as a Potential Biomarker for Hepatocellular Carcinoma
Long Non-coding RNAs (lncRNAs) refer to all non-protein coding transcripts longer than 200 nucleotides. Their critical roles in different biological pathways have been already well established. Altered expression of lncRNAs can be involved in the cancer initiation and/or progression. Since patients with hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) are usually diagnosed in late stages, developing diagnostic methods seems to be essential. In this study, the expression levels of different lncRNAs were systematically analysed in different genomic and transcriptome datasets. The analyses showed that SNHG6 is among the lncRNAs with distinctive dysregulation of expression and copy number variation in HCC tumors compared with normal tissues. The results also suggest that the dysregulation of SNHG6 is highly cancer type specific. Through co-occurrence analyses, we found that SNHG6 and its related co-expressed genes on 8q are involved in the structural integrity of ribosome and translation. This comprehensive in silico analysis, provides a resource for investigating SNHG6 in hepatocellular carcinoma and lays the groundwork for design of next researches.
KeywordsHepatocellular carcinoma Biomarker Long noncoding RNA SNHG6 Systematic analysis
This study was affiliated to Ahvaz Jundishapur University of Medical Sciences and Shahid Chamran University of Ahvaz, Iran.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare no conflict of interest.
- 5.El-Serag HB (2012) Epidemiology of viral hepatitis and hepatocellular carcinoma. Gastroenterology 142(1264–1273):e1261Google Scholar
- 8.Yarmishyn AA, Kurochkin IV (2015) Long noncoding RNAs: a potential novel class of cancer biomarkers. Front Genet 6:1–10Google Scholar
- 9.Ayers D (2013) Long non-coding RNAs: novel emergent biomarkers for cancer diagnostics. Nature 1:31–35Google Scholar
- 10.Hajjari M, Behmanesh M, Sadeghizadeh M, Zeinoddini M (2013) Up-regulation of HOTAIR long non-coding RNA in human gastric adenocarcinoma tissues. Med Oncol 30:1–4Google Scholar
- 11.Hajjari M, Khoshnevisan A (2013) Potential long non-coding RNAs to be considered as biomarkers or therapeutic targets in gastric cancer. Front Genet 4:1–3Google Scholar
- 12.Hajjari M, Khoshnevisan A, Shin YK (2013) Long non-coding RNAs in hematologic malignancies: road to translational research. Front Genet 4:1–2Google Scholar
- 15.Goossens N, Nakagawa S, Sun X and Hoshida Y(2015) Cancer biomarker discovery and validation. Transl Cancer Res 4(3):256–269Google Scholar
- 16.Cerami E, Gao J, Dogrusoz U, Gross BE, Sumer SO, Aksoy BA, Jacobsen A, Byrne CJ, Heuer ML, Larsson E, Antipin Y, Reva B, Goldberg AP, Sander C, Schultz N (2012) The cBio cancer genomics portal: an open platform for exploring multidimensional cancer genomics data. Cancer Discov 2:401–404CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 18.Petryszak R, Keays M, Tang YA, Fonseca NA, Barrera E, Burdett T, Füllgrabe A, Fuentes AM-P, Jupp S, Koskinen S (2015) Expression Atlas update—an integrated database of gene and protein expression in humans, animals and plants. Nucleic Acids Res 44(D1):D746–D752Google Scholar
- 19.Petryszak R, Burdett T, Fiorelli B, Fonseca NA, Gonzalez-Porta M, Hastings E, Huber W, Jupp S, Keays M, Kryvych N, McMurry J, Marioni JC, Malone J, Megy K, Rustici G, Tang AY, Taubert J, Williams E, Mannion O, Parkinson HE, Brazma A (2014) Expression atlas update--a database of gene and transcript expression from microarray- and sequencing-based functional genomics experiments. Nucleic Acids Res 42:D926–D932CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 20.Kapushesky M, Adamusiak T, Burdett T, Culhane A, Farne A, Filippov A, Holloway E, Klebanov A, Kryvych N, Kurbatova N, Kurnosov P, Malone J, Melnichuk O, Petryszak R, Pultsin N, Rustici G, Tikhonov A, Travillian RS, Williams E, Zorin A, Parkinson H, Brazma A (2012) Gene expression atlas update--a value-added database of microarray and sequencing-based functional genomics experiments. Nucleic Acids Res 40:D1077–D1081CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- 22.Lopez B, Cline M, Broom B, Margolin A, Omberg L, Weinstein J, Axton M (2013) Thread 4: data discovery, transparency and visualization. Nat Genet 45. doi: 10.1038/ng.2789
- 28.Cao C, Zhang T, Zhang D, Xie L, Zou X, Lei L, Wu D, Liu L (2016) The long non-coding RNA, SNHG6–003, functions as a competing endogenous RNA to promote the progression of hepatocellular carcinoma. Oncogene 36:1112–1122Google Scholar