A QoS-based HRWA multicast scheme with resource constraint on WDM mesh networks
- 34 Downloads
Several Internet multicast applications, such as teleconferencing and remote diagnosis, have Quality-of-Service (QoS) requirements. It is a challenging task to build QoS constrained multicast trees with high performance and high success ratio. The Dense Wavelength Division Multiplexing (DWDM) can provide high-speed, high-transmission capacity and bandwidth efficiency to proceed with the multipoint-to-multipoint multicast transmission. Reserved paths with the form of a tree are not the ideal topology for the multipoint-to-multipoint multicast transmission because transceivers and reserved wavelength channels will lead to some other new connections that cannot be held at the same time. This paper presents a new Hybrid Routing and Wavelength Assignment with delay constraint (HRWA-DC) multicast algorithm on WDM mesh networks, which reduces the number of searching ring paths to achieve low complexity and the number of links to increase the number of successful connections. Simulation result shows that HRWA-DC is more effective for resource utilization than tree scheme in terms of lower call blocking probability and link utilization even at tight delay constraint. It is suitable for big group size and long holding time for multipoint-to-multipoint multicast transmission.
KeywordsMultipoint-to-multipoint multicast DWDM HRWA-DC Call blocking probability
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 7.Ying, Z., Sidhu, D.: An analysis comparing light-tree and lightpath in wavelength routed optical networks. IEEE Conference on Local Computer Networks, pp. 486–487. Tempa, U.S.A. (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Arakawa S., Murata M. (2002). Lightpath management of logical topology with incremental traffic changes for reliable IP over WDM networks. Optical Networks Mag. 3(3):68–76Google Scholar
- 10.Hwang, I.S., Lee, S.N., Chen, C.C.: Multicasting in DWDM optical mesh networks using a novel hybrid routing and wavelength assignment algorithm. To appear at IEE Proceeding Communications.Google Scholar
- 11.Ural, H., Keqin, Z.: An efficient distributed QoS based multicast routing algorithm. IEEE International Conference on Computing and Communications, pp. 27–36. Phoenix, U.S.A, (2002)Google Scholar
- 12.Chen, S., Shavitt, Y.: A scalable distributed QoS multicast routing protocol. IEEE International Conference on Communications, vol. 2, pp. 1161–1165. Paris, France (2004)Google Scholar
- 13.Chen, M.T., Tseng, S.S.: Heuristics for multicast routing and wavelength assignment with delay constraint in WDM network with heterogeneous capability. International Computer Symposium, vol. 15–17, pp. 696–701. Taipei, Taiwan (2004)Google Scholar
- 14.Hwang I.S., Lee S.N., Chang I.C. (2006). Performance assessment of fuzzy logic control routing algorithm with different wavelength assignments in DWDM networks. J. Information Sci. Eng. 22(2):461–473Google Scholar