Purification and characterization of diaphorases from someDrosophila species
- 12 Downloads
Diaphorase-1 and diaphorase-2 were isolated from twoDrosophila species,D. virilis andD. melanogaster, and purified by gel filtration, affinity chromatography, immunoaffinity chromatography, and ion-exchange chromatography. The molecular weights of both enzymes were the same in each species. The molecular weight of diaphorase-1 was the same under both denaturating and nondenaturating conditions, close to 60,000, indicating a monomeric structure. Sodium dodecyl sulfate (SDS) electrophoresis of the purified diaphorase-2 revealed the presence of a single protein band of 55,000 Da, while the molecular weight of the native enzyme was found to be 67,000. The two diaphorases were further characterized by their pH optima, isoelectric points, and kinetic parameters, and antibodies were raised in rabbits against the purified enzymes fromD. virilis. The antibodies showed no cross-reactions but recognized the corresponding diaphorases inD. melanogaster andD. novamexicana as well asD. virilis. The data obtained confirmed the hypothesis of an independent genetic control of diaphorase-1 and diaphorase-2 inDrosophila.
Key wordsDrosophila diaphorase purification kinetics immunochemical characteristics
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Dunkov, B. C. (1988). Ph.D. thesis, Sofia University, Sofia, Bulgaria.Google Scholar
- Dunkov, B. C., Georgieva, T. G., and Ralchev, K. H. (1991). Diaphorase activity associated withDrosophila xanthine dehydrogenase.Dros. Inform. Serv. (in press).Google Scholar
- Ernster, L., Danielson, L., and Ljunggren, M. (1962). DT diaphorase. I. Purification from the soluble fraction of rat-liver cytoplasm, and properties.Biochim. Biophys. Acta 58471.Google Scholar
- Georgieva, T. G., Dunkov, B. C., and Ralchev, K. H. (1991). Effects of inhibitors and activators on the activity of two diaphorases fromDrosophila virilis, Insect Biochem. 21145.Google Scholar
- Ralchev, K. H., Dunkov, B. C., Doichinov, A., and Simeonovska, M. (1987). Electrophoretic spectrum of diaphorases inDrosophila, Genet. Breed. 20196.Google Scholar
- Ralchev, K. H., and Harisanova, N. T. (1985). A convenient method for mass production and harvesting of synchronousDrosophila embryos.Dros. Inform. Serv. 61196.Google Scholar