ADHM and the 4d quantum Hall effect
Yang-Mills instantons are solitonic particles in d = 4 + 1 dimensional gauge theories. We construct and analyse the quantum Hall states that arise when these particles are restricted to the lowest Landau level. We describe the ground state wavefunctions for both Abelian and non-Abelian quantum Hall states. Although our model is purely bosonic, we show that the excitations of this 4d quantum Hall state are governed by the Nekrasov partition function of a certain five dimensional supersymmetric gauge theory with Chern-Simons term. The partition function can also be interpreted as a variant of the Hilbert series of the instanton moduli space, counting holomorphic sections rather than holomorphic functions.
It is known that the Hilbert series of the instanton moduli space can be rewritten using mirror symmetry of 3d gauge theories in terms of Coulomb branch variables. We generalise this approach to include the effect of a five dimensional Chern-Simons term. We demonstrate that the resulting Coulomb branch formula coincides with the corresponding Higgs branch Molien integral which, in turn, reproduces the standard formula for the Nekrasov partition function.
KeywordsMatrix Models Solitons Monopoles and Instantons Topological States of Matter
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- M. Lohse, C. Schweizer, H.M. Price, O, Zilberberg and I. Bloch, Exploring 4D Quantum Hall Physics with a 2D Topological Charge Pump, Nature 553 (2018) 55 [arXiv:1705.08371].
- C.N. Yang, Generalization of Dirac’s Monopole to SU(2) Gauge Fields, J. Math. Phys. 19 (1978) 320 [INSPIRE].
- B. Blok and X.G. Wen, Many body systems with nonAbelian statistics, Nucl. Phys. B 374 (1992) 615 [INSPIRE].
- T.H. Hansson, J. Kailasvuori and A. Karlhede, Charge and current in the quantum Hall matrix model, Phys. Rev. B 68 (2003) 035327 [cond-mat/0304271].
- V.P. Nair and J. Schiff, A Kähler-Chern-Simons Theory and Quantization of Instanton Moduli Spaces, Phys. Lett. B 246 (1990) 423 [INSPIRE].
- V.P. Nair and J. Schiff, Kähler Chern-Simons theory and symmetries of antiselfdual gauge fields, Nucl. Phys. B 371 (1992) 329 [INSPIRE].
- M.F. Atiyah, N.J. Hitchin, V.G. Drinfeld and Yu. I. Manin, Construction of Instantons, Phys. Lett. A 65 (1978) 185 [INSPIRE].
- N. Nekrasov, Four Dimensional Holomorphic Theories, Ph.D. Thesis, Princeton University, U.S.A., http://media.scgp.stonybrook.edu/papers/prdiss96.pdf.
- Yi. Lu and C. Wu, High-Dimensional Topological Insulators with Quaternionic Analytic Landau Levels, Phys. Rev. Lett. 110 (2013) 216802 [arXiv:1103.5422].
- H. Nakajima, Lectures on Hilbert Scheme of Points on Surfaces, Am. Math. Soc. (1999).Google Scholar
- I.G. Macdonald, Symmetric Functions and Hall Polynomials, 2nd edition, Oxford University, Press (1995), Lect. Notes Math. 1271 (1987) 189 [Publ. I.R.M.A. (1988) 131].Google Scholar