Resumming double non-global logarithms in the evolution of a jet
- 3 Downloads
We consider the Banfi-Marchesini-Smye (BMS) equation which resums ‘non-global’ energy logarithms in the QCD evolution of the energy lost by a pair of jets via soft radiation at large angles. We identify a new physical regime where, besides the energy logarithms, one has to also resum (anti)collinear logarithms. Such a regime occurs when the jets are highly collimated (boosted) and the relative angles between successive soft gluon emissions are strongly increasing. These anti-collinear emissions can violate the correct time-ordering for time-like cascades and result in large radiative corrections enhanced by double collinear logs, making the BMS evolution unstable beyond leading order. We isolate the first such a correction in a recent calculation of the BMS equation to next-to-leading order by Caron-Huot. To overcome this difficulty, we construct a ‘collinearly-improved’ version of the leading-order BMS equation which resums the double collinear logarithms to all orders. Our construction is inspired by a recent treatment of the Balitsky-Kovchegov (BK) equation for the high-energy evolution of a space-like wavefunction, where similar time-ordering issues occur. We show that the conformal mapping relating the leading-order BMS and BK equations correctly predicts the physical time-ordering, but it fails to predict the detailed structure of the collinear improvement.
KeywordsPerturbative QCD Resummation
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- L.N. Lipatov, Reggeization of the vector meson and the vacuum singularity in non-Abelian gauge theories, Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 23 (1976) 338 [Yad. Fiz. 23 (1976) 642] [INSPIRE].
- E.A. Kuraev, L.N. Lipatov and V.S. Fadin, The Pomeranchuk singularity in non-Abelian gauge theories, Sov. Phys. JETP 45 (1977) 199 [Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 72 (1977) 377] [INSPIRE].
- I.I. Balitsky and L.N. Lipatov, The Pomeranchuk singularity in quantum chromodynamics, Sov. J. Nucl. Phys. 28 (1978) 822 [Yad. Fiz. 28 (1978) 1597] [INSPIRE].
- G. Camici and M. Ciafaloni, Irreducible part of the next-to-leading BFKL kernel, Phys. Lett. B 412 (1997) 396 [Erratum ibid. B 417 (1998) 390] [hep-ph/9707390] [INSPIRE].
- Y.V. Kovchegov and E. Levin, Quantum chromodynamics at high energy, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge U.K., (2012) [INSPIRE].