Dark matter relic abundance and light sterile neutrinos
- 74 Downloads
In this paper, we calculate the relic abundance of the dark matter particles when they can annihilate into sterile neutrinos with the mass ≲ 100 GeV in a simple model. Unlike the usual standard calculations, the sterile neutrino may fall out of the thermal equilibrium with the thermal bath before the dark matter freezes out. In such a case, if the Yukawa coupling y N between the Higgs and the sterile neutrino is small, this process gives rise to a larger ΩDM h 2 so we need a larger coupling between the dark matter and the sterile neutrino for a correct relic abundance.
KeywordsBeyond Standard Model Cosmology of Theories beyond the SM Neutrino Physics
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- P. Minkowski, μ → eγ at a rate of one out of 109 muon decays?, Phys. Lett. B 67 (1977) 421 [INSPIRE].
- T. Yanagida, Horizontal symmetry and masses of neutrinos, in the proceedings of the Workshop on unified theory and baryon number in the universe, O. Sawada and A. Sugamoto eds., KEK, Tsukuba, Japan (1979).Google Scholar
- M. Gell-Mann, P. Ramond, R. Slansky, Complex spinors and unified theories, in Supergravity, D.Z. Freedman and P.van Nieuwenhuizen eds., North Holland, Amsterdam, The Netherlands (1979).Google Scholar
- S.L. Glashow, The future of elementary particle physics, in Quarks and leptons, Cargèse lectures, M. Lévy et al. eds., Plenum Press, New York, U.S.A. (1980).Google Scholar
- S.A. Teukolsky, W.T. Vetterling and B.P. Flannery, Numerical recipes in c: the art of scientific computing, 2nd edition, W.H. Press, U.S.A. (1992).Google Scholar
- G. Hairer, Solving ordinary differential equations II, Springer, Berlin Germany (2010).Google Scholar
- Particle Data Group collaboration, C. Patrignani et al., Review of particle physics, Chin. Phys. C 40 (2016) 100001 [INSPIRE].