Surface operators and separation of variables
- 126 Downloads
Alday, Gaiotto, and Tachikawa conjectured relations between certain 4d N = 2 supersymmetric field theories and 2d Liouville conformal field theory. We study generalizations of these relations to 4d theories with surface operators. For one type of surface operators the corresponding 2d theory is the WZW model, and for another type — the Liouville theory with insertions of extra degenerate fields. We show that these two 4d theories with surface operators exhibit an IR duality, which reflects the known relation (the so-called separation of variables) between the conformal blocks of the WZW model and the Liouville theory. Furthermore, we trace this IR duality to a brane creation construction relating systems of M5 and M2 branes in M-theory. Finally, we show that this duality may be expressed as an explicit relation between the generating functions for the changes of variables between natural sets of Darboux coordinates on the Hitchin moduli space.
KeywordsBrane Dynamics in Gauge Theories Supersymmetric gauge theory
This article is distributed under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License (CC-BY 4.0), which permits any use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original author(s) and source are credited.
- A. Braverman, Instanton counting via affine Lie algebras. I. Equivariant J -functions of (affine) flag manifolds and Whittaker vectors, in Algebraic structures and moduli spaces, vol. 38 of CRM Proc. Lecture Notes, pp. 113-132, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, U.S.A. (2004).Google Scholar
- P. Ramond, Field Theory: A Modern Primer, Westview Press, (2001).Google Scholar
- E. Frenkel and D. Ben-Zvi, Vertex Algebras and Algebraic Curves. AMS, (2004).Google Scholar
- D. Ben-Zvi and E. Frenkel, Geometric realization of the Segal-Sugawara construction, in Topology, geometry and quantum field theory, vol. 308 of London Math. Soc. Lecture Note Ser., pp. 46-97, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, (2004).Google Scholar
- C.T. Simpson, Higgs bundles and local systems, Inst. Hautes Études Sci. Publ. Math. (1992) no. 75 5-95.Google Scholar
- C. Simpson, The Hodge filtration on nonabelian cohomology, in Algebraic geometry-Santa Cruz 1995, vol. 62 of Proc. Sympos. Pure Math., pp. 217-281, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, U.S.A. (1997).Google Scholar
- J. Harnad, Quantum isomonodromic deformations and the Knizhnik-Zamolodchikov equations, in Symmetries and integrability of difference equations (Estérel, PQ, 1994), vol. 9 of CRM Proc. Lecture Notes, pp. 155-161, Amer. Math. Soc., Providence, RI, U.S.A. (1996).Google Scholar