Numerical simulation of internal waves excited by a submarine moving in the two-layer stratified fluid
- 7 Downloads
An unsteady viscous numerical method based on RANS equations together with VOF approach was used to simulate the internal and surface wave excited by a submarine moving in the two-layer fluid at different velocities. The near field internal waves and surface waves at different Froude numbers were given systemically. It was shown from the calculated result that with the increase of Froude number, the wavelength of internal waves is also increased while the internal Kelvin angle is decreased. The characteristic of the surface wave is quite different between the super-critical and sub-critical case. The internal waves excited by a moving submarine have the triple-lope pattern, which is similar to the surface ship case.
Key wordsSUBOFF submarine body internal wave numerical simulation
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- G. G. Wren & D. May, Detection of Submerged Vessels Using Remote Sensing Techniques [J], Australian Defence Force Journal, No.127, 1997Google Scholar
- Hudimac, Ship Waves in a Stratified Ocean[J], Journal of Fluid Mechanics, 1961, pp. 29–243.Google Scholar
- Miloh, T. and Tulin, M.P., A Theory of Dead Water Phenomena [J], Proceedings of the 17th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, 1988Google Scholar
- M., Tulin, T., Miloh, Ship Internal Waves in a Shallow Thermocline: The Supersonic Case[J], Proceedings of 18th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, 1990Google Scholar
- HONG Fang Wen et al, Numerical simulation of surface wake generated by submarine moving in homogeneous fluid[J], Ship Hydrodynamics (in Chinese), Vol. 9 No 4, 2005Google Scholar
- CHANG Yu et al, Numerical simulation of wakes for moving submarine in a two-layer fluid [J], Journal of hydrodynamics (in Chinese), Vol.21 No.1, 2006Google Scholar
- P. Spalart & S. Allmaras, A one-equation turbulence model for aerodynamic flows[R], Technical Report AIAA-92-0439, American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics, 1992Google Scholar
- Hoyte C. et al, Computation of free-surface viscous flows at model and full scale by a steady iterative approach, 25th Symposium on Naval Hydrodynamics, 2004Google Scholar
- Marshall P. Tulin et al, The generation and propagation of ship internal waves in a generally stratified ocean at high densimetric Froude numbers, include nonlinear effects, Journal of Ship Research, Vol.44 No.3, 2000Google Scholar