Numerical simulation of microbubble flow around an axisymmetric body
- 1 Downloads
Numerical simulation of microbubble flow around an axisymmetric body was carried out in this paper. In the mathematic model, the flow with microbubbles was treated as mixture flow, the motion between bubbles and water together with buoyancy of bubbles were all taken into account. The distribution of microbubbles about the body and the drag reduction of the body were computed under different conditions, such as, using bubbles of different diameters, under different speeds of the body and bubble ejection rates. The computed results agree with the conclusions drawn from the published experimental studies. The analysis of the computed results indicates that the key of drag reduction by using microbubble is to produce bubbles little enough and keep them adhere to the body surface to maintain high void fraction.
Key wordsmicrobubble numerical simulation drag reduction
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- V. G. Bogdevich, A. R. Evseev, Malyuga AG et al. Gas saturation effect on near-wall turbulence characteristics[C]. 2nd International Conference on Drag Reduction, Cambridge, BHRA, 1977: 27–37.Google Scholar
- Yoshiaki Kodama, Effect of Microbubble Distribution on Skin Friction Reduction[C]. Proc. of the Int. Symp. on Seawater Drag Reduction, Newport, 1998.Google Scholar
- Jin Xu, Martin R. Maxey, Numerical simulation of turbulent drag reduction using micro-bubbles [J]. J. Fluid Mech. Vol. 468: 271–281.Google Scholar
- Huang Yan-shun, Liu Hong-mei, Wang Zhen, Calculation of Microbubble Sheet Drag Reduction of Plate by Model of Boundary Layer [J]. Journal of Ship Mechanics. 2003, 7(6): 6–14.Google Scholar
- Wu Cheng-sheng, He Shu-long. Numerical Simulation of Microbubble Flow and Analysis of the Mechanism of Drag Reduction [J], Journal of Ship Mechanics. 2005, 9(5): 30–37. (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- M. Manninen, V. Taivassalo, S. Kallio. On the Mixture Model for Multiphase Flow [J]. VTT Publications 288, Technical Research Centre of Finland, 1996.Google Scholar