Exploration of Sexual Identity Through Poetry Therapy
- 1 Downloads
This paper discusses the use of poetry therapy, utilizing poems composed by the client, as a supportive, creative technique in counseling young people as they explore issues relating to sexual identity. It also considers the implications of the use of poetry therapy as an adjunctive technique with a life-skills approach in counseling, and suggests some strategies for resolving sexual identity problems. There appears to be supportive evidence that writing poetry anchors insights into a context, physically as well as metaphorically, which provides a reference point for transforming experience.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bowman, D. O., & Halfacre, D. L. (1983). Resolution of sexual identity through poetry in counseling. Arizona Counseling Journal, 8(1), 1–6. ai]Bowman, D. O. (1992). Poetry therapy in counseling the troubled adolescent. Journal of Poetry Therapy, 6(1), 27–34.Google Scholar
- Davison, G. (1976). Homosexuality: The ethical challenge. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 32, 316–321.Google Scholar
- Gilchrist, L. D., & Schinke, S. P. (1983). Counseling with adolescents about their sexuality. In C. S. Chilman (Ed.), Adolescent sexuality in a changing American society (pp. 230–250). New York: John Wiley & Sons.Google Scholar
- Greydanus, D. E., & Shearin, R. B. (1990). Adolescent sexuality and gynecology. Philadelphia: Lea and Febiger.Google Scholar
- Kraus, L. (1980). Therapeutic strategies with adolescents. Social Casework, 61, 313–316.Google Scholar
- Matteson, D. R. (1975). Adolescence today: Sex roles and the search for identity. Homewood, IL: Dorsey Press.Google Scholar
- Morrison, M. R. (1987). Poetry and therapy. In M. R. Morrison (Ed.), Poetry as therapy (pp. 40–53). New York: Human Sciences Press, Inc. ai]Rothenberg, P. (1980). Communication about sex and birth control between mothers and their adolescent children. Population and Environment, 3, 35–50.Google Scholar
- Shapiro, C. (1980). Sexual learning: The short-changed adolescent male. Social Work, 25, 489–493.Google Scholar
- Zahner-Roloff, L. (1987). Social despair in adolescent boys: Poetic therapies and metaphoric diagnoses. American Journal of Social Psychiatry, 7(2), 101–105.Google Scholar