Reading as a Group Process Phenomenon: A Theoretical Framework for Bibliotherapy
- 1 Downloads
Based on Shrodes’s (1949) model of bibiiotherapy and Yalom’s (1985) research on the therapeutic factors in group therapy, this paper presents a unifying theoretical framework for bibiiotherapy. Research and practice implications are drawn for both individual and group therapy.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Alexander, R.H. & Buggie, S.E. (1967). Bibliotherapy with chronic schizophrenics: The therapeutic function of a psychiatric librarian in a state mental hospital. The Journal of Rehabilitation, 55, 26–27, 42.Google Scholar
- Cohen, L.J. (1989, June). Bibliotherapy: Proposed theoretical framework and description of pilot study. Paper presented at National Association for Poetry Therapy Conference, Saratoga Springs, NY.Google Scholar
- Colaizzi, P.F. (1978). Psychological research as the phenomenologist sees it. In R.S. Valle & M. King (Eds.), Existential-phenomenological alternatives for psychology (pp. 48–71). New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Cornett, C.E. & Cornett, C.F. (1980). Bibliotherapy: The right book at the right time. Bloomington, EN: Phi Delta Kappa Educational Foundation.Google Scholar
- Hannigan, M.C. & Henderson, W.T. (1963). Narcotic addicts take up reading. Bookmark, 22, 281–286.Google Scholar
- Hynes, A.M. & Hynes-Berry, A. (1986). Bibliotherapy: The interactive process. Boulder: Westview Press.Google Scholar
- Morris-Vann, A.M. (1983). The efficacy of bibliotherapy on the mental health of elementary students who have experienced a loss precipitated by parental unemployment, divorce, marital separation or death. Dissertation Abstracts International, 44, 676A. University Microfilms No. 83–15616.Google Scholar
- Rubin, R.J. (1978) Bibliotherapy: A guide to theory and practice. Phoenix: Oryx Press.Google Scholar
- Shrodes, C. (1949). Bibliotherapy: A theoretical and clinical-experimental study. Unpublished doctoral dissertation. University of California, Berkeley.Google Scholar
- VanTichelt, R.A. (1977). An analysis of the reading process: Toward foundation in bibliotherapy. Dissertation Abstracts International, 38, 3916B. University Microfilms No. 77–32255.Google Scholar
- Yalom, I.D. (1985). The theory and practice of group psychotherapy (3rd ed.). New York: Basic.Google Scholar