Mechanical, elastic, and structural properties of alloys of Ru−Ta high-temperature intermetallic compounds
- 33 Downloads
Screening tests of binary high-temperature intermetallic compounds showed the Ru−Ta L10 structure to have room-temperature impact resistance and high-temperature strength. Twenty alloys based on RU11Ta9 have been studied for microhardness, elastic modulus, impact strength, and, in two cases, compressional stress-strain behavior. L10 lamallae are commonly seen, and their character on fracture surfaces correlates with relative toughness. The B2 phase is present in some alloys, also a twinned lamellar structure, and the beginnings of a martensitic transformation to the L12 form were observed in the transmission electron microscope at 93 K.
KeywordsMetallurgical Transaction Transmission Electron Microscopy Photo Undeformed Sample Convergent Beam Electron Diffraction Pattern Tweed Contrast
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.High-Temperature, Ordered Intermetallic Alloys, MRS Symp. Proc., C.C. Koch, C.T. Liu, and N.S. Stoloff, eds., MRS, Pittsburgh. PA, 1985, vol. 37.Google Scholar
- 2.High-Temperature Ordered Intermetallic Alloys, II, MRS Symp. Proc., N.S. Stoloff, C.C. Koch, C.T. Liu, and O. Izumi, eds., MRS, Pittsburgh, PA, 1987, vol. 81.Google Scholar
- 3.High-Temperature, Ordered Intermetallic Alloys, III, MRS Symp. Proc., C.C. Koch, C.T. Liu, N.S. Stoloff. and A.I. Taub. eds., MRS, Pittsburgh, PA, 1989, vol. 133.Google Scholar
- 6.D.L. Anton, D.N. Duhl, D.M. Shah, and A.F. Giamci:J. Met., 1989, vol. 41 (9), pp. 12–17.Google Scholar
- 8.J.H. Westbrook:Trans. AIME, 1957. vol. 209, pp. 898–904.Google Scholar
- 9.R.L. Fleischer:High-Temperature, Ordered Intermetallic Alloys, III, MRS Symp. Proc., C.C. Koch, C.T. Liu, N.S. Stoloff, and A.I. Taub, eds., MRS, Pittsburgh, PA, 1989, vol. 133, pp. 305–10.Google Scholar
- 10.R.L. Fleischer:J. Met., 1985, vol. 37, pp. 16–20 (GE Report 85 CRDI22, 1985, includes the same data but is more complete).Google Scholar
- 11.P. Villars and L.D. Calvert:Pearson Handbook of Crystallographic Data for Intermetallic Phases, ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1985, p. 3112.Google Scholar
- 13.R.L. Fleischer, R.D. Field, and C.L. Briant:Mechanical Properties of High-Temperature Alloys of AlRu, Metall. Trans. A, 1991, vol. 22A, in press; available as GE Report 90CRD059, March 1990.Google Scholar
- 15.Binary Alloy Phase Diagrams, T.B. Massalski, ed., ASM, Metals Park, OH, 1986, vol. 2, p. 1988.Google Scholar