Circulating somatostatin after oral glucose in hypothyroidism
- 6 Downloads
The response of circulating somato-statin-like immunoactivity (SLI) to oral glucose and its relation to other pancreatic islet cell hormones were studied in 10 hypothyroid subjects before and after treatment. None of the patients suffered from diabetes mellitus or obesity. Compared with normal controls, the hypothyroid subjects had higher fasting and stimulated SLI levels but lower fasting pancreatic glucagon levels. Integrated glucose and insulin responses following glucose ingestion were normal, but the peak insulin réponse was delayed to 120 min suggesting impaired pancreatic β-cell response to oral glucose. On the other hand, the peak response of plasma C-peptide was higher probably because of a reduction in metabolic clearance. In both hypothyroid subjects and controls, a significant correlation was found between the maximal increment of SLI and the maximal decrement of glucagon following oral glucose. In conclusion, plasma SLI is increased in hypothyroidism. The changes in SLI may be due to either an increased hormonal secretion or a reduced metabolic clearance in hypothyroidism. This elevated SLI might contribute to the slower gastrointestinal motility observed in hypothyroidism. Our data also suggest that the reduction in glucagon secretion may be secondary to the increase in circulating SLI.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Skare S., Hanssen K.F., Norman N. Plasma somatostatin is elevated in primary hypothyroidism compared with hyperthyroidism. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh.) 111: 331, 1986.Google Scholar
- 6.Ahren B., Lundquist I. Insulin secretory response to different secretogogues in hyper-and hypothyroid mice. Acta Endocrinol. (Copenh.) 97: 508, 1981.Google Scholar
- 7.Holdsworth C.D., Besser G.M. Influence of gastric emptying-rate and of insulin response on oral glucose tolerance in thyroid disease. Lancet 2: 700, 1986.Google Scholar
- 19.Gerich J.E. Somatostatin. In: Brownlee M. (Ed.), Handbook of Diabetes Mellitus. Garland STPM Press, New York, London, 1981, vol. 1, p. 297.Google Scholar
- 21.Taborsky G.T. Jr. Evidence of a paracrine role for pancreatic somatostatin in vivo. Am. J.Physiol. 245: 598, 1983.Google Scholar